BLS-5 battery vs BCS-1 charger

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by picker77, Apr 2, 2012.

1. picker77

picker77 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2012
    Oklahoma
    This has probably been addressed before, but the I can't get the frustrating search function on this otherwise excellent forum to find it:

I have an almost new E-P3 that came with a BLS-1 battery and BCS-1 charger in the kit. The previous owner added a second battery to his order, and J&R sent him a BLS-5 (but no BCS-5 charger). I have seen various unexplained cautions against charging the -5 batteries in -1 chargers, but only after I had already done that a couple of times (and it worked fine, BTW). Does this mean I have to either buy an older out-of-date battery and throw away the new BLS-5? Or buy a BCS-5 charger and carry around two chargers? Or, if I buy a BCS-5 charger, is it compatible with the orginal BLS-1 battery? :confused: 

2. tdobson

tdobson Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 2, 2012
    Canada
    How did you fare?

I find myself in a similar situation, except I have BOTH chargers and a mix of BCS-1 and BCS-5.

I haven't had a problem mixing and matching, but then I haven't accidentally forgot anything on the charger for two days, nor have I done any systematic capacity testing, etc etc.

Anyone have a bulk of actual experience with this?

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I have a BLS-5 and a bunch of BLS-1s. All charge fine in the BCS-1 charger.

4. duratorque

duratorque New to Mu-43

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    I also was the warning on the box of my E-PM1 which uses BLS-5 battery/charger. I also have a E-PL1 which uses with BLS-1 battery. I've charged both batteries with with BCS-5 charger without any problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.