1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

BLS-5 battery vs BCS-1 charger

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by picker77, Apr 2, 2012.

1. picker77

picker77 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2012
    Oklahoma
    This has probably been addressed before, but the I can't get the frustrating search function on this otherwise excellent forum to find it:

I have an almost new E-P3 that came with a BLS-1 battery and BCS-1 charger in the kit. The previous owner added a second battery to his order, and J&R sent him a BLS-5 (but no BCS-5 charger). I have seen various unexplained cautions against charging the -5 batteries in -1 chargers, but only after I had already done that a couple of times (and it worked fine, BTW). Does this mean I have to either buy an older out-of-date battery and throw away the new BLS-5? Or buy a BCS-5 charger and carry around two chargers? Or, if I buy a BCS-5 charger, is it compatible with the orginal BLS-1 battery? :confused:

2. tdobson

tdobson Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 2, 2012
    Canada
    How did you fare?

I find myself in a similar situation, except I have BOTH chargers and a mix of BCS-1 and BCS-5.

I haven't had a problem mixing and matching, but then I haven't accidentally forgot anything on the charger for two days, nor have I done any systematic capacity testing, etc etc.

Anyone have a bulk of actual experience with this?

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I have a BLS-5 and a bunch of BLS-1s. All charge fine in the BCS-1 charger.

4. duratorque

duratorque New to Mu-43

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    I also was the warning on the box of my E-PM1 which uses BLS-5 battery/charger. I also have a E-PL1 which uses with BLS-1 battery. I've charged both batteries with with BCS-5 charger without any problem.