1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

BLS-5 battery ability to hold a charge (travel)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by emmecinque, Apr 17, 2014.

1. emmecinque

emmecinque Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    I'll be taking my new E-PL5 on a two-week family trip overseas (UK). Instead of buying a UK battery charger, I'd prefer to just bring 3 or 4 pre-charged batteries.

However, I'm not confident how long the things will hold a charge sitting wrapped up in the camera bag. I know that most NiMH batteries bleed charge pretty quickly, but I don't know much about these Lithium-Ion things. Will a fully-charged battery keep at least most of its charge for 9 or 10 days? Obviously if I got desperate I could probably find a charger in London somewhere, but I'd rather not have to semi-plan on that.

This seems like a common question but some time searching hasn't found anything. Apologies if it's in an obvious FAQ I'm too blind to notice.

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I've not seen any significant discharge over 1-2 months. They're FAR better than NiMH batteries (at least other than eneloop NiMH cells, which are also designed to hold a charge long term).

3. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Why not just bring an adapter? Surely you'll need it for charging other electronics, and they only cost a few dollars. Plus you'll have peace of mind knowing you can recharge the batteries if you end up shooting more than you expect. 2 weeks is an awfully long time for 3-4 batteries — when traveling I normally drop a spare one in my day bag as it's not unusual for me to use up a whole battery in one day (~250-300 shots).

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    The batteries should hold their charge for that long of a period. I have found my camera batteries do discharge to a certain extent but usually over a matter of weeks.

:thiagree: - See above. I see no reason not to just pick up an adapter or two for your trip. As long as the battery charger is rated for both voltages all you need is a simple (cheap!) plug adapter. You don't need to buy a separate charger. Heck if it wouldn't cost me more to mail it to you than it's worth, I'm sure I have an extra one floating around from when I lived in London for a semester.

I'm not an E-PL5 owner but I looked it up on Olympus' site for you. If this is the charger unit you have:

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/acc...argers/lithium-ion-battery-charger-bcs-5.html

Then all you need is a plug adapter or compatible cable. It even says right in the overview "The BCS-5 is the dedicated lithium-ion battery charger for the BLS-5. The BCS-5 is compatible with the international power supply of 100-240V AC." so you're good to go!

:smile:

5. Search

Search Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2014
    If you have not purchased the batteries yet, you could pick up 2 wasabi batteries and charger for $26. Add an adapter for the British plug and you are good to go. The wasabi charger has fold out plug. It makes a better travel charger than the Olympus.

What are your reasons for leaving your existing charger at home?

6. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Yes, I agree - get an adapter. I use the BLS-5 in my EPL2 and just going to the Oregon coast for 4 days I found that I had recharged both batteries at least once.

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Get an adapter. The charger works worldwide.

8. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    The following options should all work

1. The Olympus batteries should be OK for two weeks (tend to be better than clones).
    2. Buy a US to UK plug adaptor for your unit the charger itself is the same. Should not be expensive.
    3. If you are anywhere near Manchester I will provide you with a UK lead you can use for nothing.:)

The figure of 8 style plugs used on the charger are pretty common over here so someone in the family may have one you could borrow.

9. RickinAust

RickinAust Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Australia
    Definitely take an adapter. Won't you need one for other things like tablet, phone??? Also agree should only need only 1 fig 8 cord I only take one on all OS trips as I found it fitted both the the camera charger and video Cam charger. Also a double adapter is useful. Cords & adapters are light and take up almost no room at all.

10. emmecinque

emmecinque Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    Wow I had assumed that a simple cheap adapter *wouldn't* work, but if eveybody thinks it would then that's definitely the way to go. (Just checked the thing and sure enough it clearly says it does.) Well duhh, that's easy.

Thanks everybody! Here's a dog.
    dog-sm.

11. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    LOL, thanks for the dog :)

12. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I'm glad you see the ease and importance. You would hate yourself to discover you were out of juice for the last several days of your trip. My travel always include 4 batteries and 2 chargers. May sure to bring extra memory card(s) too. Enjoy your trip.

13. emmecinque

emmecinque Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, adapters ordered. I'm so glad I posted this (totally dumb) question, because the realization that I don't actually need special electronics is huge. I've been to Europe before of course but I guess this is the first trip in the modern era of "everything's a computer".

Hoping to find the experience of picking up some SIM cards for a family full of smart phones to be non-taxing :) Thanks again everybody!

14. Search

Search Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2014
    Just verify that the phones are gsm phones. Having a local Sim is great. You should also see what the cost is to access the internet via the phones.

15. emmecinque

emmecinque Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    Oh yes they're all GSM phones. Two are already unlocked but I need to buy out the contracts on the other three. Travelling with 3 16 year-olds (triplets) all with their own phone needs is pretty insane. Also I'm quite sure that mobile internet is far cheaper on a (good) pay-as-you-go SIM than it would be via the US carrier.

16. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    You are probably correct - we did the same on our trip to the USA ( from the UK) with two teenage kids and bought prepay sims. It also means no nasty shocks when you get home.

17. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    I've found that more often than not, it's extremely useful to takes small, compact power strip with you when travelling that matches the number of devices you have with you. I travel with two cameras with incompatible batteries (E30+Pen), Android phone and tablet, as well as a proper notebook, and taking a small power strip let's me run everything in parallel with just one adapter, rather than running serially charging one device after another and/or having multiple adapters to buy. Plus you can use it at home for the exact same purpose. :)

18. Search

Search Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2014
  19. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    We have one of the Anker USB chargers and it has charged everything we have thrown at it. Apple, Sony, Kindle, HTC, Motorola etc etc. doesn't even get warm - Recommended.

Instead of a power strip we have a "snake" we made from four figure of eight leads into a single plug. This allows us to charge two Olympus and two Panasonic batteries at the same time or others. Takes much less space than a strip.

20. emmecinque

emmecinque Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    Thanks all - this trip it's just my one camera, and then a big pile of USB devices :) One of my sons is determined to bring his laptop despite my advice against it, so that'll work for charging a couple of USB devices. I might get a USB multi-charger but I think we'll be OK shuffling between the three UK adapters I picked up (thanks to this thread).