BLS-1 battery in E-PM2 and BCS-5 Charger OK?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hookgrip, May 26, 2013.

1. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    After looking on Amazon for some extra batteries for my EPM2, I came across these Sterlingtek BLS-1 batteries which were very highly rated:

Amazon.com: STK's Olympus BLS-1 Battery - 1800mAh for Olympus PS-BLS1, BLS-1 Batteries and Olympus PEN E-PL1, E-PM1, EP3, EPL3, Evolt E-420, E-620, E-450, E-400, E-410 Digital SLR Cameras.: Camera & Photo

Back when I used DSLRs, I also sometimes used Sterlingtek batteries and they were quite good. However, this particular Sterlingtek battery is a BLS-1 and the PM2 uses a BLS-5. From what I've read online, the two batteries and chargers (BCS-1 and BCS-5) seem to be interchangeable even though Olympus has a warning about it on their site.

Has anyone had experience with these Sterlingtek BLS-1 batteries in cameras spec'd for a BLS-5? Any issues using BLS-1 and -5 interchangeably in the PM2 and its BCS-5 charger?

Thanks!

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I've no experience with the brand you mention, but I've used other third-party and OEM batteries. The BLS5 and corresponding charger have safety circuitry that IIRC will completely shut down charging when completed. The BLS1 switches to a trickle charge when completed. The batteries are interchangeable in EP3 generation and earlier bodies. They will charge in either charger, though only BLS5 batteries charged in the corresponding OEM charger will utilize the extra safety circuitry. I just make sure I remove all batteries soon after charging is complete. My apologies for the non-technical explanation. :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

3. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I can confirm that, based on the two EPL-3's we bought at the same time, the cameras are the same even though one was supplied with the -1 battery/charger and one with -5.

This led me to do some research and the difference between the two is that in order to meet the new Japanese regulation i.e. that chargers have to turn fully off (not just drop to a trickle charge) Olympus, and others, had to add an extra connector between the battery and charger but either battery type will work in the camera as there are only the original three contacts. We can use either battery in either camera but without knowing what the differences in the charging circuits I would not charge a -5 in the -1 charger etc.

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, at first I was leery about mixing batteries and chargers ... until I noticed that the third-party chargers B&H sells for the BLS1 and BLS5 batteries are the same item.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

5. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Thanks for the advice! Looks like the BLS-1 will be fine in my PM2.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, I also use both the BCS-5 chargers and BCS-1 chargers to charge my BLS-1 batteries, and likewise my BLS-5 batteries. The only difference is that the BCS-1 chargers will trickle charge a BCS-1 battery after reaching full charge, while the BCS-5 charger will simply stop charging at full-charge and not go into any trickle-charge (which was deemed unsafe by the Japanese government).

All my batteries and chargers are OEM though. When you've collected as many compatible bodies as I have, you don't need to go third-party as batteries and chargers come for free. lol. I would not hesitate to use 3rd party though, if that need arose.