BLS-1 and BLS-5 Batteries for E-P3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gochugogi, Jul 12, 2013.

1. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I had a difficult time buying the OEM battery for my 18-month old E-P3, the BLS-1. I found a few OEM BLS-1 but selling for absorbent prices and I suspect were old stock. Apparently the BLS-1 battery and its charger (BCS-1) are being phased out due to a Japanese law banning trickle charging (the low power topping off at the end of the charge cycle). So I bought a Sterlingtrek BLS-1 clone but, unfortunately, it shorted out within a week and nearly fried my camera (and hand!). After a little googling I found out the newer BLS-5 battery is interchangeable with the BLS-1, the main difference being the BLS-5 has an extra contact only used by the charger. Unfortunately it requires a charger with the 4th contact, the Olympus BCS-5 Battery Charger for BLS-5 Battery, so I was forced to buy a new charger as well. Luckily, the Amazon prices were pretty good for both items, about the same price as buying a single old stock BLS-1.

Not much to say other than the BLS-5 charged up fine in the Olympus BCS-5 Battery Charger and worked perfectly in my E-P3 as expected, yielding about 300 images per charge. But what a relief after the overheating Sterlingtrek BLS-1! Although the instructions warn the Olympus BCS-5 Battery Charger is only for the BLS-5 battery, my BLS-1 battery seems to charge fine in it. Glad I don't have to carry two chargers...

I'm guessing most Olympus shooters here already know about the BLS-1/BLS-5 thing, but I wish Olympus made this information more obvious in their manual and battery descriptions.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I interchange my BLS-1 and BLS-5 batteries and chargers both ways. BLS-1 batteries in the BLS-5 charger or BLS-5 batteries in the BLS-1 charger. Never had a problem either way.

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The fact is, Olympus' user's manuals claim that the BLS-1 and BLS-5 chargers and batteries are not interchangeable - but in real life, they interoperate perfectly well. I have never had an issue using either genuine Olympus or clone batteries (Halcyons that claim to be BLS-1 clones, and have only 3 pins) on either charger, or either Olympus battery on both their own or an aftermarket (Halcyon) charger which claims to be a BLS-1 compatible

4. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Wish I knew the BLS-1/BLS-5 batteries and chargers were interchangeable before I bought the extra charger but I suppose a backup charger isn't a bad thing. Lots of conflicting information on the net about this subject.

I've owned a lot of clone batteries for my other cameras but this Sterlingtrek is the first one with a major defect (short/overheating). However at the same time I also bought a Sterlingtrek LP-E6 for my 5D MKII and, while not dangerous, wouldn't hold a charge more than a few days. My prior Sterlingtrek batteries were fine but it seems they're having a run on QC.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Battery blew up!:eek:  I had a clone go bad but it simply wouldn't charge back up.

6. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

"Blew up" is stretching things. It got really hot and swelled up a little making it difficult to remove. However my iPod Nano exploded while charging a couple years back.

7. Thinh Ly

Thinh Ly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Washington D.C.
    I bought a Wasabi Power BLS5, works better than my Oly BLS1. You might want to give them a shot.

8. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks, I'm probably good with two batteries but love Wasabi on my ahi sashimi so I'll keep it on my wish list just in case. :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.