1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Blown away

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dch, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    I had my E-M5 for a few weeks now; coming from a G3 and before had a Canon system with a 5D and several lenses.
    I took this picture at dusk on a foggy day; very low light levels and a dark subject. ISO 6400, 20mm @ f1.7, 1/5s, HANDHELD.

11928172745_94a4604476_z.

I could not have got this with ANY of my previous cameras handheld, at all. But what impressed me the most is how good it is at ISO 6400! I printed it yesterday on A4 size and can't really see any noise; crisp details and good colors.
    For the size of the camera and lenses i'm really blown away by what they can do. Moreover, in situations like this one, it is a real advantage to have more depth of field at wide apertures (and lenses that are very good wide open). With my 5D i had a Voigtlander 40mm f2; wide open the depth of field was too thin most of the time and the performance not that impressive at all...
    Not even the 5D impressed me so much overall when i first got it coming from a 10D.
    Have a good 2014,
    Daniele.

• Like Like x 17
  2. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Glad you like the performance of your EM5. I have the EM5 and 5DII and love both!

3. mattphoto

mattphoto Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    New York
    Excellent photo with beautiful greens and superb contrast. Well done!

4. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Yep, the modern Oly sensors are amazing. Its funny how you see two camps, those that have Panasonics and think they are great, and those that have tried the new Oly's and forgotten about their Panasonics.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have been happily surprised at the difference that IBIS makes for handheld shots, particularly in low light. That has been the deciding factor for me in choosing Olympus bodies over Panasonic. It's nice to see that they incorporated IBIS in the GX7.

6. Setb

Setb Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 31, 2013
    i started with Oly e-pl2 and now i have my E-M5 its awesome

7. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    That's the path I took. :biggrin: I still have my E-PL2--it's near and dear to my heart and makes a great 2nd body, but the E-M5 is a thing of beauty, lol.

8. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I will just leave it here

• Like Like x 4
  9. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Let me be one to add to this thread by saying I just got my E-M5 a few days ago and I too am blown away by the IBIS in this camera.... 14mm F/4 (on purpose to see how far I could go with the shutter speed) and I got some reasonably sharp shots at 1/2s and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot at 1/4s.... JUST AMAZING.

10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    By the way, in spite of what I posted above, the EM5 is one my favorite cameras, and I've been shooting with quality cameras going back to 1971 (Leica M3 and Nikkormat FTn), so at least personally that's a meaninful accolade. :smile:

12. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I have the EM5 and just purchased a GX7. While the IBIS of the Olympus is far superior to everything else (so far). the sensor of the GX7 is wonderful. The high ISO IQ is marginally better than the EM5 (IMHO). There is absolutely nothing inferior about the Panasonic with the exception of the IBIS. However, with the Panny lenses and the MEGA OIS on, I have gotten excellent hand held low shutter speed shots.

13. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    What ISO's are you guys pushing your E-M5's to? I find that 3200 in low light conditions seems to be my 'acceptable' limit (pushing it, though) although I haven't tried it in good light.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Overexpose slightly (+0,7 tops) and pull exposure back down in pp, raw of course, and you should get good results at iso6400 and even higher.

• Like Like x 1
  15. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    I just like Olympus colors. Especially with Fujinon TV lenses.

Then again, I'm colorblind, so what looks good to me is probably HIDEOUS to everyone else.

That's a good tip. Thanks.

16. Screamin Scott

Screamin Scott Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Atlanta Ga. Metro
    I have to agree here. I would rather rent a lens/camera & shoot with it to make up my mind as under most circumstances you will not be able to discern differences between most ratings, especially the close ones. Maybe if you pixel peep or make huge enlargements, but most people don't do that , so for the bulk of people, the differences aren't worth stressing over...

17. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    People need to be reminded that less DOF with FF cameras can be an issue too requiring you too stop down a lot which isn't handy in low light and demands faster glass.

18. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Yes, as you point out, even if you have a 1.2 lens on FF which is great for low light purposes, you would have to stop down to something like 2-2.4 if DoF is too shallow, compared to the (very expensive) Nocticron on m43 that could stay at 1.2. That eats up a good chunk of the low-light advantage of the FF camera.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Chicago

Yep. Even DXO says:
    A color sensitivity of 22bits is excellent, and differences below 1 bit are barely noticeable.
    A value of 12 EV is excellent, with differences below 0.5 EV usually not noticeable.
    A difference in low-light ISO of 25% represents 1/3 EV and is only slightly noticeable.
    http://www.dxomark.com/About/Sensor-scores/Use-Case-Scores

20. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Well, i started this thread because the picture i posted, and PRINTED in A4 size, was really amazing to me for how little noise it has even at 100% on screen. In the printed one i can't see it at all (granted the subject is good for it).
    I did print ISO 3200 shots from the G3 and they look quite a bit worse...
    So for me the limit, if i need it, now is 6400; coupled with fast lenses that are good wide open and IBIS, i have to force myself to realize i can shoot in conditions i never used to, especially handheld. To me it's amazing.

This is one of the points i made: in these conditions, where full frame supposedly has an advantage (low light), indeed you have to balance other factors than high iso noise, like, as you say, too little dof.
    In fact, with my now gone full frame 5D, i could not have got this picture handheld; for the same DOF it would have required: 40mm, 1/40 sec. (reasonable hand holding speed), f3.4, ISO 204800!
    Even for a nikon D4 this would be hard :smile:
    By the way, even with thinner DOF, you would still need ISO 51200 to hand hold at 40mm; or, with in lens IS (but there is not a stabilized 40mm lens...) and same DOF, ISO 25600.

• Like Like x 1