BLOOD MOON - last night

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
I was very limited with my gear last night - but made an attempt to shoot the full eclipse from Nicaragua, anyway. The sky started out clear, and then as the earth shadow began to hide the moon - cloud cover moved in and made it even more difficult.

My focal length was 300mm which only provides a small moon shape on the frame. Initial exposures were typical low ISO and fast shutter speeds at f8 and then diminished to 1/2 second at 1600 ISO - - - while handholding and looking onto the LCD screen of my Olympus E-PL3. Auto Focus would not work and I did my best to find a decent focus manually.

I could only capture 1/2 of the event as a result of the clouds totally covering and darkening the sky once we had witnessed the "blood moon". It was beautiful to watch with the naked eye. Being it wasn't the greatest set of images I could take - but I still wanted to shoot it - I added some glitz to the eclipse series, just for interest sake. I left Mars in the bottom right corner of the shot.

eclipse2014extra.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

oldoldold

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Joe Milan
It's been quite awhile since I've posted anything--not sure why. This thread drew me out.
Here are a few of mine from last night:
#1 The Start of the total eclipse
Blood_Moon1.jpg

#2 The height of the total eclipse
Blood_Moon2.jpg

#3 At the end of the total eclipse
Blood_Moon3.jpg

Olympus E-PL5 with Panasonic 100-300 mm lens

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mike Deane

Mu-43 Regular
Quick Question for the expert from a novice. I also tried to take picture of the blood moon and the eclipse. I had EM1 and a Panasonic 300 with (and without) a shutter control cable on a sturdy tripod. It seemed like it could never focus - the moon in the view finder grew and shrank. When it did not grow and shrink, I saw two "moons" in the view finder - one was solid yellow, and the other seemed to have craters... I am very puzzled. Please help...

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
Quick Question for the expert from a novice. I also tried to take picture of the blood moon and the eclipse. I had EM1 and a Panasonic 300 with (and without) a shutter control cable on a sturdy tripod. It seemed like it could never focus - the moon in the view finder grew and shrank. When it did not grow and shrink, I saw two "moons" in the view finder - one was solid yellow, and the other seemed to have craters... I am very puzzled. Please help...

I focused manually I believe. Nice feature of the Olympus cameras is that you can zoom in for focusing. I don't use that often, but in dark conditions it can help. The moon isn't going to change its distance from you. So once focus is set, you can fire away even when the moon is barely visible - conditions that would cause the searching for focus issues you experienced.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I focused manually I believe. Nice feature of the Olympus cameras is that you can zoom in for focusing.
+1 I always use that function when shooting the moon. It's very difficult anyway. And don't forget the delay shutter self release function so the shutter won't make your image blurry. Actually I forget that I noticed, afterwards :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom