BLOOD MOON - last night

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Robert Watcher, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

I was very limited with my gear last night - but made an attempt to shoot the full eclipse from Nicaragua, anyway. The sky started out clear, and then as the earth shadow began to hide the moon - cloud cover moved in and made it even more difficult.

My focal length was 300mm which only provides a small moon shape on the frame. Initial exposures were typical low ISO and fast shutter speeds at f8 and then diminished to 1/2 second at 1600 ISO - - - while handholding and looking onto the LCD screen of my Olympus E-PL3. Auto Focus would not work and I did my best to find a decent focus manually.

I could only capture 1/2 of the event as a result of the clouds totally covering and darkening the sky once we had witnessed the "blood moon". It was beautiful to watch with the naked eye. Being it wasn't the greatest set of images I could take - but I still wanted to shoot it - I added some glitz to the eclipse series, just for interest sake. I left Mars in the bottom right corner of the shot.

• Like Like x 39
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    I think this is pretty awesome!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. it'sAlvin

it'sAlvin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2014
    Bay Area CA
    One of the best sets Ive seen. Well done!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very neat composite!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Fabulous! Very well done!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Outstanding - really, really well done! :bravo-009:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    this is the photography I've been dreaming to do:2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. oldoldold

oldoldold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Joe Milan
    It's been quite awhile since I've posted anything--not sure why. This thread drew me out.
    Here are a few of mine from last night:
    #1 The Start of the total eclipse
    #2 The height of the total eclipse
    #3 At the end of the total eclipse

Olympus E-PL5 with Panasonic 100-300 mm lens
    • Like Like x 2
  10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Very cool set, Rob!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. pasisti

pasisti Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    You lucky things! It was so cloudy here in Finland that there was nothing to see..
  13. Mike Deane

Mike Deane Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2013
    Quick Question for the expert from a novice. I also tried to take picture of the blood moon and the eclipse. I had EM1 and a Panasonic 300 with (and without) a shutter control cable on a sturdy tripod. It seemed like it could never focus - the moon in the view finder grew and shrank. When it did not grow and shrink, I saw two "moons" in the view finder - one was solid yellow, and the other seemed to have craters... I am very puzzled. Please help...
  14. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

I focused manually I believe. Nice feature of the Olympus cameras is that you can zoom in for focusing. I don't use that often, but in dark conditions it can help. The moon isn't going to change its distance from you. So once focus is set, you can fire away even when the moon is barely visible - conditions that would cause the searching for focus issues you experienced.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    +1 I always use that function when shooting the moon. It's very difficult anyway. And don't forget the delay shutter self release function so the shutter won't make your image blurry. Actually I forget that I noticed, afterwards :)