Blood Moon April 15

uscrx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
anyone taking the blood moon shot?

Then the milkyway on April 29 when its moonless?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mu-43 mobile app

dgphelps

Mu-43 Regular
I am now! Just happens that on the 15th |'ll be in a cabin and away from city lights. I just hope for a clear night.

dgphelps

Mu-43 Regular
I might try a legacy 75-200 Canon lens. I thinks it's my longest focal length these days. Gotta dig around and double check.

I was looking forward to being out in the woods to try some star trail shots already. I also might try some light painting depending on what the surrounding trees are like... That and if the kids go to sleep easily!

uscrx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Are you using google star map to locate the milky way?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mu-43 mobile app

rgugler

Mu-43 Regular
I'm going to try! It is supposed to be a little windy (17mph), but mostly clear. Luckily for me it isn't too difficult to get away from city lights in Kansas! :D My camera arrives tomorrow, so I don't expect too much luck, but it will be fun to try!

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
You don't need a moonless night to catch the Milky Way, just do it before the moon rises. If you are in the right conditions, it will be quite visible, no star maps needed.

Hope you have an ultra wide for the Milky Way.

aks6674

Mu-43 Veteran
If you have a PC that will run it, also check out Stellarium. It makes it easy to plan for the shot, gives you exact rise/set times for everything in the sky. And it's free! Use that for the when, and Google earth for the where, and you're all set.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Milky Way is quite visible by naked eye if you're in good conditions to photograph it.

Indeed, it's even visible in the night sky at my home, when conditions are certainly not upto photographing it! In even reasonable conditions it's not going to be missed.

bredman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
Good chances of clear skies in the UK according to BBC weather. Starts at 5am and peaks around 6am.

uscrx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You don't need a moonless night to catch the Milky Way, just do it before the moon rises. If you are in the right conditions, it will be quite visible, no star maps needed.

Hope you have an ultra wide for the Milky Way.

I will use 5DII with 15-30mm Sig zoom at 15mm f3.5.

bredman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
Starts at 5am and peaks around 6am.

I watched it until 5:35am, by then it was so low in the sky it wasn't visible, and i doubt i'd find a better vantage point around town. Just a nice rich yellow at that point. And that was that.

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
P4157242cropsmall.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here is my attempt. This is tricky to say the least. It was shot at 300mm using an adapted Osawa zoom at f5.6, 200 ISO and 1 second mounted on a tripod. It looked good on the rear LCD but when I got it into my computer I could see it was blurred{the star is clearly blurred from motion - I need to get a remote release!}. It was also darker than I thought so I adjusted the levels a tiny bit and cropped in just a little. The moon also looks a bit grainy, not sure why. I would appreciate any suggestions.

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
did not want to drag out the tripod so was hand holding :) not good enough so all were to blurry :)

but this was just before just have a cheap $99 panny 50-200 or something ? my Oly 75 was sharper but so tiny :)
come on Oly come out with that 300 lens :)

moon.jpg

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
I was very tired last night and have a big day of work today, so I didn't plan to get any blood moon photos and I was told it would take place about 3:00am local. But I went out about 11:30pm and took this shot with my lowly O40-150 and cropped it very heavily to get this and then went to bed.

13869550065_571ed80666_b.jpg
Untitled by dynasportfxdx, on Flickr

My dog got me up at 3:30 this morning thought, so I walked out front to see clouds surrounding the moon. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get a decent focus. I don't know if it was environmental or something I was doing wrong. Anyway, I took a few shots and this was the best I could get. Very disappointing. Since this is happening again in the not too distant future, any suggestions (besides more lens as I already know that) would be appreciated.

13866767354_808da221b7_b.jpg
Untitled by dynasportfxdx, on Flickr

Latest threads

Top Bottom