1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

blog article: Anatomy of a street shooting session

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by Mungozan, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Mungozan

Mungozan Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2010
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    I hope this is the right forum to promote a blog story, which kind of falls outside of m3/4 world.

I wrote this article into my blog a couple of weeks ago:
    Anatomy of a street shooting session Rawshooter

I thought this might be the last time to post something about that subject from that perspective, since I just placed an order for GF-1 w. 20mm f/1.7 lens.. Might do things differently when that arrives ;-)

rgds,
    Mungozan

• Like Like x 2
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    You've been moved to my house, The Image Works.....
    Thanks for posting this. Maybe you'd like to join the Image Quest.
    Shooter

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Mungozan, thanks for posting this link. I enjoyed reading your blog story about your different approach to shooting. Very thought provoking, which is always a good thing.

I have very little experience with "street photography" though I have tried and do try to take photos of people that are not staged and where they are aware that I am taking their picture...perhaps they are "street photos" without necessarily being in or on the street.

Your blog story was definitely worth reading - and now I'll have to go back in and look around a little more to see what else is in there.:thumbup:

4. Mungozan

Mungozan Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2010
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    Thanks for the comments.. I really felt a sort of leap to another direction that day, which is why I wrote the article in the first place.. Streeetshooter: Maybe I´ll join the Image Quest after I get the GF-1 next monday..

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Geeze, next Monday....now I have to be anxious also....

6. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    That's a good read... I am kind of interested in going about being invisible though, any tips?

7. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Nice story, but why do you go for a small m43 camera if you actually want to be noticed?

8. Mungozan

Mungozan Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2010
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    Because of the weight

The weight: my back and neck tell me that it´s time to cut down some weight on the equipment on everyday shooting. I also believe that smaller camera gives me better contact with people - instead of camera-wielding cyborg, I become this person doing some photography.. That remains to be seen in practice, though :smile:

Besides, sometimes you can´t really get situationals if all the people pose for you, it´s better to be unnoticed at first. It works also like this: see the event folding, take the picture, nod and thank so that the persons know you did that. In a rare occasion they will get mad. (It´s happened to me twice in the last five years I´ve actively shooting the streets)

The article was more about experimenting with something different than usual, but I guess it´s a bit different style of street photography. Depends on the mood as well.

9. Mungozan

Mungozan Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2010
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    About being invisible

I guess a small camera you can use without lifting it up on your eye level helps.

Although: I don´t really believe that being invisible is the key on street photography (in the beginning at least).

I think it´s more important to actually be seen and established as a photographer. When you do that, you give room for people who don´t want to be photographed, in case they want to move out. Those who have seen you and still remain, won´t object to being photographed. In addition, they will get used to you, the photographer, and start acting naturally again.

Then, after all that, you become invisible.
    Just my 2 cents :smile:

Mungozan

• Like Like x 1
  10. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks for your answer :) , that did come through in your blog post.

11. Mungozan

Mungozan Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2010
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    I guess your shooting is situational shooting, which is something most street photographers do mostly.. Anyway, I think You just pointed out the biggest dilemma in street photography: how to take an unstaged picture of a person in the street, with that person knowing he/she is going to be photographed. Sometimes the pose people strike really ruins the picture you saw..

I guess the only way is to let people around you know you are doing photography. Then they will have time to adapt and forget your presence.

Mungozan

• Like Like x 1
  12. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    Streetphotography is like dancing with strangers with a certain distance in between.

Due to your own daily feeling and mood it can be very frustrating at day X and very exciting and smooth at day Y.

Beside the correct handling of the hardware the streetshooter must have a certain "softness" to "feel" the situation which will be condensed by the photograph, hopefully.....

One thing is sure, good shoes are a must and fresh air is free of charge....:wink:

Cheers
    Bernd

• Like Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.