BLN-1 battery replacement

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I think the BLN-1 battery in one of my E-M5 mk2 cameras is failing, as it doesn't seem to hold charge for long.

It would appear that genuine Olympus replacements are in short supply with most dealers out of stock.

Can someone please recommend a suitable alternative (and I note that some of the cheaper derivatives can't even be charged with the original charger?

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The MPB.com website in USA shows several used Olympus BLN-1 in excellent condition for $14 USD. I purchased one a few months ago and it works just fine.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Thanks,
I did see a few on mpb's UK site and was a bit concerned how they judged them.
There was a mix of excellent and good but it appeared as if they were graded on appearance. :hmmm:

I bought 4 wasabi's when I bought my mk5ll five years ago and am still using them,I try to use the corresponding charger but the oly charger does also charge them. I have had one swell up where it was tricky to get out of the camera but I remedied it with some sand paper . Yes I know I should just dump it!
:hiding:

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I saw one review this evening that said Wasabi batteries were very popular in the USA and that Patona seemed to be the choice of Europe.
Must confess, I've never heard of the latter.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks,
I did see a few on mpb's UK site and was a bit concerned how they judged them.
There was a mix of excellent and good but it appeared as if they were graded on appearance. :hmmm:

Unless you can get a cycle count out of the battery, or even harder a load test, I don't think there is a practical way to evaluate batteries.
I bought a Nikon battery from them, and it has been going fine for a year, so far.
At $14, I would go for it, vs. a 'brand-X" battery.

astroamos

New to Mu-43
I saw one review this evening that said Wasabi batteries were very popular in the USA and that Patona seemed to be the choice of Europe.
Must confess, I've never heard of the latter.
I've only sold Camera equipment to MBP UK, other than a missed courier collection, everything went well for me from evaluation to payment.

I've purchased and used the Wasabi batteries from this forum many years ago (an EU seller), they performed well.

Ex-Pro white are the other brand i own, probably the best non branded ones i used, these however seem to have been replaced by Patona in the UK.

I've also used Newmowa, but these are the worst in terms of holding a charge, lasting about half the time of the original Olympus ones.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I seldom say never but I never recommend third-party party batteries. I value my gear.

Real Name
Phill
Personally I simply stay away from 3rd batteries, all my BLN-1 are original, genuine Olympus batteries. When I got my Fujifilm X100V recently, I also bought genuine Fuji batteries.

Of course if the genuine BLN-1 isn't available, you'd have to do something. I haven't checked MPB prices and stock, but I'd give them a try and rather buy a used BLN-1 if the price isn't too high.

The only option I *might* consider here in Europe would be Patona's Protect batteries, but even those only as a temporary solution until genuine stock is available again. Here in Germany a double-pack of Patona Protect BLN-1 goes for about EUR 35.

By the way, this pretty long article might be worth a read, although it is about Fuji's NP-W126S batteries, I'm pretty sure it can be extended for the vast majority of battery types from all manufacturers:
https://domvarney.com/2019/04/14/the-great-battery-brawl/
It gives a detailed breakdown between the genuine battery vs 3rd party ones, starting from the actual plastic shell, over the energy cells all the way to the electronics used.

Last edited:

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi Brian. I've had various batteries for cameras and in all fairness they are all ok.

At the moment I have a couple of DSTE batteries (BLH-1) for my EM1ii. which I rotate along with my original Oly battery to give them all fair use. They can not be charged in the original charger but my original Oly battery can be charged in the DSTE charger so I just use the DSTE charger now. It takes a bit longer but that's no problem. They have been absolutely fine.

Best I can suggest is find a battery which is able to be charged on your original charger, if that's what you want, and buy it/them. Simple as that. Or get some with a charger like I did. Whatever you do, it'll solve your problem cheaply and quickly.

Amazon have enough to choose from.

Cheers
Keith

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
I don't have a lot of experience with 3rd party batteries, I have used 2 different brands of 3rd party of Panasonic GX7 batteries but their charge was consistently, and quickly degrading, 25% less then OEM. (I gave those batteries away more then a month ago to a member here, don't know if she recieved them from UK to Canada)

When I switched to Olympus I have stuck with OEMs only for safety and piece of mind. Had 2 BLN-1s and, currently I have, 3 BLH-1s. The more batteries you have and consistently rotate them on charge and usage the longer they will last if you have only one or two.
I do use a 3rd party charger for the OEM because I can charge 2 of them at the same time which an save up significant time. Its the Hahnel Cube Pro 2 (I think, can't remember from the top of my head). A good way to rotate batteries is if you need to charge one always out another one in the camera so you won't forget which one's which turn.

I have a significant experience with MPB and very recently, as I traded in my Olympus M.ZD 7-14mm f 2.8 Pro, 12-40mm f 2.8 Pro, 60mm f 2.8 Macro, Olympus EE-1, Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f 2.8-4, Panasonic DMW-TC14, Sigma 60mm f 2.8 DN Art and the service was quick, efficient, honest and very helpful support as well. And I bought from them my Olympus M.ZD 12-100mm f 4 IS Pro and a Fl-lm3 and they have been well presented in the description, quality and price.
Though I never bought used battery before, that's sounds a bit counter-intuitive on how batteries work but I can still understand why one would, on a tight budget.

If you can afford new try to stalk some online stores for when stock comes in, I have found that Park and Clutton Cameras are quite honest with their stock and delivery estimates from their support staff. (Given how much I talked to them through their chat system it's gotten almost therapeutic... That and the guys at London Camera Exchange Taunton store, if it wasn't for pandemic I would show up with cups of coffee for everyone everytime I needed a chat in store).

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob (who would have guessed?)
I have a couple Wasabi batteries that work well. I'm able to charge them in my Olympus charger. Mine are not BLN-1; I think I use BLS-50. I have also read that people like Watson brand - which I think is the store brand for B.H. Photo Video. I don't have any personal experience with Watson brand.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have purchased a couple of camera batteries from Duracell Direct because they offer 3 year warranty and free shipment at least inside EU. And this is a way more reliable brand than never-heard-of manufacturer from Wish or Ebay.

Their 1140mAh BLN-1 replacement does cost 29€ which is twice as much as no-brand options but still cheaper than the original which does claim to have slightly more capacity: 1220mAh

Real Name
Cata
Another vote here for Duracell Direct. And they are located in Europe - it looks like my last order (see below) was dispatched from UK.

Have used one of their batteries and their assorted charger for my GX9 for more than one year with no problems at all (my GX9 came with only a USB cable, no charger included - ok, mine was bought second-hand).

Actually this week I have ordered and received from them 4 more batteries: another battery for the GX9 (since the Patona one was swollen and it took me some time to remove it from the camera), plus one BLN-1 for my EM5, plus two BLH-1 for my EM1.3. The only one that arrived completely empty was the BLN-1 so I have charged it with my Olympus original charger. It looked fully charged when I inserted it into the EM5 camera.

I also got a discount for ordering more than one battery of the same sort, so for the BLH-1 I got about 20 EUR off. And yes, the BLN-1 was 29 EUR.

L.E. Yes, as @Bob in Pittsburgh mentioned, they offer free shipping (for orders above ?? EUR).

Last edited:

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob (who would have guessed?)
Just checked Duracell Direct. They sell a replacement for BLS-50 for $19.79 U.S. dollars, and free shipping. I will probably try them next time I need batteries for my cameras. Olympus website says OEM brand BLS-50 batteries are 1175 mAh of power; Duracell says theirs are 1100 mAh. At $19.79 compared to $64.99 for Olympus brand that might be a worthwhile compromise.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.
I've got my eye on a couple now thanks.
One genuine Olympus and if that falls through, then a Duracell; £19.00 here in the UK, with 3 year warranty.

Just a note that may be relevant: I once bought a "genuine Olympus" battery on Ebay. I it looked to be genuine, but did not hold much charge. I compared its weight to that of my Olympus batteries, and it was quite a a bit lighter, so it was clearly counterfeit.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Get the wasabi.
Use the Olympus wall charger.
They are excellent.
Disregard the wowsers.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom