Blank screen, only display data - no image

Vincy Lau

New to Mu-43
Hey Guys! I am currently experiencing the same problem - newly bought olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-5.6 lens when mounted onto my olympus omd em10 markii, the screen display was black but data was on, aperture etc. was shown as '-.-'. I am sure my camera body has no problem as it works perfectly fine with the other lens I have and I am sure I have put my lens on corrently (red dot to red dot, clicked at the end and lens release button is not pressed down). I am currently in kenya where there is no Olympus dealer/repair shop anywhere, help please!

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
Does the problem only occur with a particular lens or does it occur with all lenses? If only one lens? try wiping the lens contacts with lens cloth. If all lenses have problems, then I think the camera is off for repairs.

Vincy Lau

New to Mu-43
Does the problem only occur with a particular lens or does it occur with all lenses? If only one lens? try wiping the lens contacts with lens cloth. If all lenses have problems, then I think the camera is off for repairs.
Thanks for the reply! The camera works fine with my other olympus lens. This 12-50mm lens is newly purchased so I'm hoping it is a faulty lens instead of some other more complicated problems?

Vincy Lau

New to Mu-43
Could you have left the lens cap on?
I wish that was the case but no. All the data (e.g. Aperture) shown on the display screen is '-.-'. The person who opened this post had posted a short clip in one of his replies showing his camera's problem and I am having the exact same problem. :(

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
I wish that was the case but no. All the data (e.g. Aperture) shown on the display screen is '-.-'. The person who opened this post had posted a short clip in one of his replies showing his camera's problem and I am having the exact same problem. :(
If you have cleaned the contacts and there is no change then I think you have found out why the lens was for sale (assuming it was not new).

pinkjewelpics

New to Mu-43
I've also had this problem with my EM5- more than one lens. I have found that if I wait a couple of days it starts working (at least so far). I figure the days are probably numbered before the screen stays black. Has anyone sent their camera back to be repaired for this once it's out of warranty?

Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
I've also had this problem with my EM5- more than one lens. I have found that if I wait a couple of days it starts working (at least so far). I figure the days are probably numbered before the screen stays black. Has anyone sent their camera back to be repaired for this once it's out of warranty?
I have sent back numerous E-M5 for repair, some within warranty period (2 years here in Australia) but one was sent with 10 months over the offered warranty.
While the service centre was happy to repair the camera (jammed shutter) they wanted a good chunk of money.
A hint from @Aushiker (member on this Forum) suggested that 2 years is not good enough for top-of-the-line camera from Olympus.
Long story short I invoked Australian Consumer Law in my email and a few days later I had a call from the big cheese at Olympus Service apologizing for the delay and misunderstanding.
Ah, how nice it's to know a little bit about consumer's rights... :yahoo:

Things could be different on your side of the pond :hmmm:

pinkjewelpics

New to Mu-43
thank you for your reply, gnarlydog. I figured it would be expensive, so might be worth a try, but not too optimistic that they would cover repairs. I think I'll start looking around for a back up camera just in case it decides to die on me. Decisions, decisions on which one to buy next... :)

Michael D

New to Mu-43
When i turn on the camera i can only see a blank / black screen and no image. I can see all the data on the display but no image coming through the lens.
I know it's a few years late, but for posterity sake, I'll give my two cents as it's happened to me accidentally. It' s not an error, but rather a feature. If you can see the info on the monitor, but not the image view, it's probably because you accidentally pressed the |O| button which can turn off the monitor preview. On my E-M1 M1, it's located just to the left of the viewfinder. Press it once or twice to toggle through the different settings.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I had a similar issue with my E-M1 II and the 7-14 Pro; the image blacked out and the settings etc. were still visible. It didn't happen again for quite a while but I finally figured out the cause - me! I was tilting the camera and lens down, holding the body with both hands. A fingertip on my left hand was slightly depressing the lens mount lock button and it turned off the image projected through the lens onto the sensor. The data still showed up the same except for the AF now saying 'MF'.

neonyellowgreen

New to Mu-43
I know it's a few years late, but for posterity sake, I'll give my two cents as it's happened to me accidentally. It' s not an error, but rather a feature. If you can see the info on the monitor, but not the image view, it's probably because you accidentally pressed the |O| button which can turn off the monitor preview. On my E-M1 M1, it's located just to the left of the viewfinder. Press it once or twice to toggle through the different settings.
OMG THANK YOU! I have been trying for days to solve this issue! It felt like I just turned off the preview because everything else worked, but I couldn't find any option in the menu or the manual whatsoever and I was this close to going to a repair store.
Funny that after 4 years of never noticing this button, I accidentally used it.

Anyway, just signed up here to say thank you! You saved my day :)

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
My turn with my OM-D E-M5II. With the live view against the body I can only get the menus etc but nothing from any of the lens I have tried. However:

[1] If I turn off EVF Auto Switch and manually switch it betweeen monitor view and the EVF it's displays the image the lens is seeing fine;
[2] With EVF Auto Swtich on and the Monitor View screen in selfie-mode it display the image the lens is seeing fine, but if I bring the monitor back to the camera body I loose the image.

Yet to try a reset. That will be the next step. Otherwise I guess in for a repair unless anyone has other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Have you checked that there is nothing trapped in the recess of the lens where this pin engages? If you have another lens does that give you the same problem?
I had this on one E-M10 body with a particular Panasonic lens. Fixed it by loosening and then re-tightening the four screws on the lens mount. I think it had got slightly twisted.

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
My turn with my OM-D E-M5II. With the live view against the body I can only get the menus etc but nothing from any of the lens I have tried. However:

[1] If I turn off EVF Auto Switch and manually switch it betweeen monitor view and the EVF it's displays the image the lens is seeing fine;
[2] With EVF Auto Swtich on and the Monitor View screen in selfie-mode it display the image the lens is seeing fine, but if I bring the monitor back to the camera body I loose the image.

Yet to try a reset. That will be the next step. Otherwise I guess in for a repair unless anyone has other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Are you sure you don't have anything anywhere near the eyepiece? It is quite sensitive. Try cleaning around the eyepiece. It sounds as if it thinks your eye is there.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
Are you sure you don't have anything anywhere near the eyepiece? It is quite sensitive. Try cleaning around the eyepiece. It sounds as if it thinks your eye is there.
Thank you so much for the suggestion. That is not something I had considered and surprise surprise (not) when I removed the eyepiece there was a life time of gunk there. Cleaned it all up and bingo all is good again.

So once again thank you for the suggestion.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom