Blackwattle Bay at Night

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by PeterB666, Oct 4, 2010.

1. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Last shot for the long weekend ... looking across Blackwattle Bay (Glebe) towards Anzac Bridge and the city centre. Not sure how well this works, I think the shot is a bit too busy and the jetty should have been further to the left and less dominant - feedback welcome ...

[​IMG]
    Blackwattle Bay at Night by peterb666, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  2. Pap

Pap Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2010
    Fleetwood, PA
    very beautiful, Peter! Wonderful reflections on the water.
    Pap

• Like Like x 2
  3. Beautiful shot. I think you should try cropping out the partial boat on the far right side would make it better. But its still nice the way it is.

• Like Like x 2
  4. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    This seems like it'd be a nice 16x9 composition, but there wasn't one that would work with this particular shot.

I'd probably be inclined to shoot less of the dock, move the shot up to get more sky (and thus more cropping options), put the vertical elements of the bridge toward the left edge, and crop to 16x9, eliminating as much of the dock as practical.

5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I think the jetty provides important foreground interest in what could otherwise be a rather empty part of the image. It also creates a dynamic leading line to the lights of the city beyond and interacts well with the reflections. It's a shame it is on the same side as the Anzac Bridge because that makes it a little unbalanced with much of the interest bunched towards the left but it wouldn't have created such a good leading line on the right. Nevertheless it's a beautiful and striking picture that I wish I'd taken. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I find the jetty too intrusive - nicely exposed.

• Like Like x 2
  7. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    To be clear: I do too, I'd just like somewhat less of it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Thanks

In retrospect, that was my thought on processing the image. Seemed fine on location. I really want more of the reflection.

Usually I would take shots from several angles but I was with someone else who didn't like the lighting and had to move on. That turned out to be a disaster from which I obtained NO useable shots and got rained on quite a bit.

Such is life ...

9. deirdre

Aug 9, 2010
    I've had whole vacations like that. :)