Blackwater Falls, Davis, WV

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by emptysensor, Feb 12, 2012.

1. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Took a trip to Timberline to ski over the weekend and had to stop at Blackwater Falls, in Davis, WV. All photos taken with the lowly GF2 and 14-45 lens, long exposures with ND 1.2 filter.

6866367497_233e5b47b5_b.

6872374527_cf12811bee_b.

• Like Like x 5
  2. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Thanks for sharing. I think #2 works well on its own. Davis is a beautiful area.

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Very nice! I was at Dolly Sods near there in the fall and realized I forgot my ND filters and had to shoot the falls at F16 :(

I'll be back this spring at Dolly Sods for some hiking and will likely go back and shoot the falls again.

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

verah verah niiizzze. :smile::2thumbs:

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Great set - thank you for sharing! I especially like number 2 also.

6. Great shots, very nice in b&w. What exactly is an ND 1.2 filter? My knowledge of ND filter nomenclature is ND2 (1 stop), ND4 (2 stops), ND8 (3 stops) and ND400 (Extreme!).

7. emptysensor

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Thanks everyone. The broken tree halfway up on the left in all the shots bugged me, but I couldn't do much about it. For some reason they refer to the ND filters in different ways, and the 1.2 is equal to 4 stops. Richard, I made the mistake of driving over Dolly Sods before all the snow was melted one year, and it was the scariest drive of my life. In the summer it's probably great though.

8. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Last fall was the first time I had been up in Canaan Valley for 30 years, which was the last time I was at Blackwater Falls and Dolly Sods. We loved the hiking in Dolly Sods so much we are going back in the spring. I hope to do a 4 season set of Dolly Sods over the next few years.

The fall is gorgeous with the azaleas turning color (unfortunately it was cloudy every day we were there). I am looking forward to their spring flowers. I hope to pick the right week.

P1000460-XL.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm more of a color person, so I prefer the color version. Very well done.

• Like Like x 1
  10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think you could crop the left just enough to eliminate that broken tree without weakening the image at all.

11. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Chainsaw. :biggrin:

12. emptysensor

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Richard, I think Seneca Rocks might be a good place to check out too. We used to go past there on our way to Canaan and it looked like it would be a fun hike if it's warm.

Taking your suggestion by recropping #2 with an electronic chainsaw. Thanks for the feedback. It's not quite the way I saw the shot, but I think it looks better than having the unsightly tree mess things up. I guess sometimes you need to do the best with what you have rather than forcing the shot to fit a vision that might not work.

6872374527_cf12811bee_b.

13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yep, I think this version is at least as good as the first, and if the tree really bothered you, even better. A technique I learned in my first photography class, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, was to make a pair of "cropping 'Ls'". Two pieces of scrap matte board (or paper), cut into L shapes and large enough to cover at least a couple of inches at the edge of a print.

Then put them on the print (or monitor image, today), and gradually move them from the edges of the prints toward the center, and play around with different crops. It's amazing how often less is more, and how much easier it is to visualize the cropped image this way than simply trying to imagine it.

I actually used this basic technique before I suggested you could crop. I just held a piece of paper up to the monitor and covered enough of the left side of the print to hide the tree.

14. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    @joeshutterbug - went by Seneca Rocks on the way home. The blue sky came out after I left, of course.

1060783-L.

And I have 35 year old 4x5 B&W shots I took of the falls and Senaca Rocks I need to scan in one day when I can send it off. I used to go caving in the Franklin area.

• Like Like x 2
  15. emptysensor

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Meyerweb, thanks for you thoughts. The helpful constructive feedback is why I like this site. I started with a Canon T70 in high school myself, but never had enough money to learn (pay for film and processing) as much as I wanted.

Richard, the rocks look so much better with foliage around. I've never seen them that way. Maybe I'll have to convince my wife and son to make a trip over when it's not snowing.

16. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Breath-taking.

17. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    thanks for sharing, the 2nd one is my fav.

18. potownrob

potownrob Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Rob
    Nice pics!! I usually go to WV for a week in the summer (stay at the campgrounds in Parsons) and have lots of pics of Blackwater Falls, Smoke Hole Caverns, Seneca Rocks (from down below at least) and Spruce Knob. Spruce Knob is worth the drive up for the views. Make sure you go all the way to the top!! Here's a shot I took from the top (keep in mind it wasn't the clearest day IIRC, I did no editing to this and forgot my CPOL - this looks breathtaking in person lol):
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Let's have a West Virginia meetup! :drinks:

20. potownrob

potownrob Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Upstate NY