BlackRapid SnapR 35 ... or bigger!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by carpandean, Jul 24, 2013.

1. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    So, I had this great idea (or so I thought) for a bag/strap combo last night. Basically, it would be a messenger style camera bag, but open toward the wearers front. Then, the camera would come out already attached to a short sling that would be able to slide up and down the bag's strap.

A quick search this morning revealed that I had been beaten (more or less) to the idea by BlackRapid and their SnapR 35:

Anyone tried an E-M5 in one, yet? My problem is that it would appear to limit you to kit lenses and/or smaller primes. Does anyone know of a similar product that is larger?
  2. eekim

eekim New to Mu-43

Jun 10, 2013
    San Francisco
    Eugene Eric Kim
    I use a BlackRapid Metro, which I really enjoy. I considered the SnapR, but it got mediocre reviews. You could probably hack a Crumpler Pleasure Dome to do what you want.

Pleasure Dome (S)
  3. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I've been looking around and I'm seeing pieces of what I want. For example, I like how the CaseLogic SLRC-205 opens toward the front:

but the strap is to thick to run a short sliding tether to the camera around. I may end up having to do a hack job to get what I'm looking for.
  4. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    I had the SnapR 35 with my old E-P3 and it fit with the kit lens. I really liked it, actually, but it was small and I ended up just never using it much. Like you, I'm still on the hunt for something conceptually similar - but larger. My Lowepro Passport is my everyday carry, but sometimes I don't want to carry a whole messenger.
  5. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I should note that one of the reasons that I am looking for such a bag is because I often have an 18 month old with me. I'd like something that can hold the E-M5 w/ 12-35mm and that isn't too conspicuous (especially when the camera is stowed), can be operated more or less one handed, and would allow me to just let go of my camera (gently, of course) if I need to act fast.
  6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apologies for posting in a somewhat old thread... but here's my experience of this bag for anybody curious...

I knew the SnapR 35 would generally be too small for an OM-D EM-5, but got one anyway, since I wasn't ever planning on putting the camera body in the case, and would instead be using it to carry some other bits and pieces of my kit. I've never liked carrying cameras in cases - it's either out when walking about, or packed in something like a backpack for travel. When traveling I almost always have a proper backpack on so I got the SnapR for quick excursions where I can really travel light and take advantage of its flexibility.

I have the camera and lens on the sliding sling. Despite not being a 'full' BlackRapid R it's still great - in a different league compared to the EM-5 bundled strap. The camera end is made of strong plastic rather than the usual metal on the SnapR (it's fine for light :43: gear) and won't scratch the camera. I've ditched the standard BlackRapid tripod mount, and have attached it directly to the left strap lug/clip of the EM-5 (I removed the annoying right clip on the EM-5 completely).

I like the convenience of the sling as well as the flexibility of being able to detach the bag if I don't want to carry it (or if I'm going to be carrying a larger backpack anyway). It also comes with a wrist strap that can be quickly attached after quick releasing from the sling.

I don't own any small lenses, so I have:
    • On strap: EM-5 + PL25
    • Inside: O12-50, hood + rear cap for PL25, EM-5 body cap, FL-LM2 kit flash, Cokin P ring + thin WA holder, a Cokin P filter (in its thin case)
    • Side pockets: 2 ring filters, cloth and cleaner, wrist strap, plus a spare battery if I ever get one

Judging by space when I just have the body cap on the EM-5, it could actually fit:
    • Inside: EM-5 + attached small lens (e.g up to an O12/O45), FL-LM2, spare battery
    • Side pockets: 1 pancake lens in each pocket