Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
If I was a video person this would be tempting, it looks a very well thought out package. The only thing I see missing is an EVF, but I'm not sure if one is so important for video.

pake

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Teemu
For some reason I started to have a desire to get one. I don't even shoot video that much but still I would love to get one of those. I spend way too much time on editing my material already and jumping into the video pool would only make it worse. Luckily this GAS will pass soon. I hope. :D

i used the original bm pocket and it was a doodle-lovely images that were easily edited.
the issue was the crummy battery life.

this new version with the addition of 4k should rock!
plus it maintains the m4/3 mount which is hugely helpful.

the overnight gab in video circles is about whether the new bm pocket 4k is a gh5/gh5s "killer".

bm is a fine company.
their video edit product-resolve-is outstanding.
but their timeline on delivery of cameras is...leisurely...at best!

specs are great. reviews probably great. let's see the footage!

thumbs up.

rob

atarijedi

Mu-43 Regular
This camera seems to have the same sensor as in the GH5S, the odd size matches, as do some of the features.

Israel

Mu-43 Rookie
B&H lists the BMPCC4K sensor size as 18.96 x 10.00 and the GH5S as 17.3 x 13

Very curious to hear reviews, specs are impressive at that price point.

atarijedi

Mu-43 Regular
B&H lists the BMPCC4K sensor size as 18.96 x 10.00 and the GH5S as 17.3 x 13
Yeah, that sensor size is wrong. The GH5S has a special multi aspect ratio sensor, similar to what the GH2 had. The same sensor area is used for each aspect ratio you choose.

17.3x13mm is the standard 4/3 sensor size, a multi aspect ratio sensor can't be 17.3x13mm. It has to be bigger.

Here is a good analysis some guy did on this. GH5 Actual size of GH5S sensor?

Israel

Mu-43 Rookie
Here is a good analysis some guy did on this. GH5 Actual size of GH5S sensor?
"While the Panasonic website kits the GH5S sensor as 17.3x13mm, the overall sensor size is closer to 19.3mm wide, but only uses 18.9mm of that width in 17:9: and 17.75mm I. 16:9 Video aspect ratios. The GH5 is also listed at 17.3x13 — but in the release interviews, Panasonic states the new GH5S has a larger, multi aslect sensor similar to the GH2 had (which was 19x13.4mm to get a 22mm image circle at the various aspect ratios could line up in)."

Sounds like he's saying the GH5S sensor is closer in size to the one listed for the BMPCC4K...

TonyVentourisPhotography

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tony
The new pocket cinema has a different appeal than the gh5 for many uses. I'm very heavily considering the new black magic camera. Especially for supported use on tripods and sliders/dollies etc... in small production it checks all the boxes. The price is very nice. A 5" screen is nice for checking focus too. The gh5 is a camera designed to go back and fourth between still and video for hybrid shooters and really take advantage of handheld work. The gh5s is a bit more specialized. It depends on your personal workflow and needs. I think the new cinema camera will sell in boatloads.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've been thinking about changing from Vegas PRO to the BM suite of software. I am very happy with my 2 GX8 & GX85 cameras. Somehow this combination of software/camera is really appealing. Not this year but sometime next year unless a real "Gx9" comes out I will choose between this and an EM5 III. Really for the Indy film maker this is a very, very combination. Not quite the run and gun camera that the 2 Gh5 cameras are but still with the right lenses an incredible bundle to consider.

FrayAdjacent

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
M@
Definitely looks interesting... but I'm going to wait for the EM-5 Mk III. I do make videos around my paramotor flying and do some 'vloggy' type stuff, and B-roll with the EM5. The BMPCC looks pretty nice... but a couple things from a couple videos stood out - no IBIS and no C-AF. I don't think I could do with a video only camera... I want one that can "do both", since I do still use my EM-5.2 for stills.

Him-ch

Mu-43 Regular
but their timeline on delivery of cameras is...leisurely...at best!
Yes they still have no stock at this pont in time Christmas 2018 in Switzerland. Unbelievable to announce and yet not be able to have units to sell to eager customers. I cancelled my pre-order months ago. Until this company learns to be able to deliver when they announce or very soon after I won't buy Black Magic Design product.

Him-ch

Mu-43 Regular
Two reactions: (1) 5" rear screen is incredible for filming! (2) The price with included software is a killer, and I mean killer, deal. This is great news for videographers.
Yes but then you have the lack of delivery to contend with! What is the point of building up a frenzy of pent-up demand, only to fail on delivery?

An update: announced in April 2018, Switzerland supplier now says delivery end June 2019........ some way to do business.

I have made an order. If it isn't delivered by end of July it will be cancelled and I plan to just ignore it after that.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom