1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Blackmagic Davinci Resolve

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by jziegler, Apr 22, 2016.

1. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Is anyone using Davinci Resolve for editing their video files? I just discovered that there is a free version of the package (Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 12) that is pretty full featured. Most of what it is missing would really only matter for pro use (and possibly high end pro only).

The learning curve seems a bit steep, since this is a full blown professional color grading suite that added NLE features a few versions ago. I haven't even gotten to the color tab in my playing around so far. I was able to put together a few quick clips of m kids last night, and I think I can make it work after watching some tutorials and playing some more.

I'm ready to try shooting some different video this weekend to see how it does on a few specific features. It has a multi-cam feature to sync up footage from different cameras.

Anyone else out there try it out? How beefy of a system do you run on, and how does it perform?

-James

2. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Last time I tried it (v11), it ran like a limping donkey on a machine with decent GPU that ran both Premiere Pro and FCPX just fine. If they fixed that then I agree it may be worth looking at.

3. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I was seeing some stuttering with video, but I don't have a very good GPU (Geforce Gt 430). It even warned me about GPU on initial startup. That said, the interface was pretty responsive. I can live with that, and a GPU upgrade doesn't have to be a huge expense, depending on what I need. A GT 730 - GTX 750 can be pretty affordable these days, and much faster than my current one.

So far, I've only tried basic free editors, and have always been left frustrated by them. Windows Movie Maker (or whatever they call it now) can handle a lot of camera files without doing a conversion first, and has a typical modern MS interface (not something I prefer). Some other free ones that I've tried left me frustrated even doing things like clipping one file into multiple segments.

I'll do so playing over the weekend and see where I go. I've obviously just a beginner on this stuff compared to you.

4. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    When version 12 came out it got excellent reviews, and they just released 12.5 beta. To run software like this, you are going to need a GPU with 1.5+ GB of ram or a 4+ core CPU with 16+ GB of ram.

5. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    12.5 is very good. Big learning curve if you have not used a NLE before. Something like premier elements might be better for someone just starting out.

6. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Spent the day yesterday working with Resolve 12.5 and Premiere Elements (useful stuff, I used to use Sony Movie Studio Suite but I think its at end of life) and they make a good Batman and Robin. My machine is ready for an upgrade (its an AMD 6 core with a 1 gig GPU) but I could process 4K OK, about 4 times longer than 1080P. Depending on what you need (and you can get add-ins for Resolve also) these two programs together can be a full feature set of editing tools. I think for long renders I'd use resolve as on my machine it is faster than PE.