1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Blacked out GX1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Arvin, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    I've been wanting to cover anything extraneous on my GX1 to attract less attention so I finally broke out my tape and exacto!

Black+GX1.

Feels discrete :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  2. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I was actually planning to do that to my camera + lenses. Is that gaffer tape?

Also, any pointers?!

3. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    It doesn't get any easier than gaffer taping a camera. Have fun!

Once I tried to stealthify a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L. Not fun :rolleyes:

4. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    I say go for it. You might like the nondescript look. I'm using Shuretape.

I'd recommend getting everything ready beforehand so you can do it all in one sitting.
    •1" tape - It starts out thick and you can slim it down instead of layering thin strips together.
    • An exacto knife with a fresh blade
    • Tweezers, preferably fine point for precision
    • Metal ruler (if you're using plastic, be careful as exactos can nick their edges)
    • Circle template - for outer and inner diameter of the strip covering the lens text
    • Cutting surface - I use a small exacto pad
    _MG_0007.JPG

*When peeling your exacto'd tape from the cutting surface, use your tweezers so your finger oils don't get on the corners as they are the first to lift/peel.

For the side of the barel, first use a dummy strip of tape, and wrap it around to find the exact circumfrence. Mark it with your exacto, but be careful not to dig into the plastic. carefully peel that strip off the barrel and place it on your non-paper cutting surface (like shown above). Lay down a fresh strip edge to edge next to it and cut it to the exact length of your first strip. Peel it off and wrap it around the barrel so that the ends meet at the bottom so the edges are not in sight. If you do this right, it will meet perfectly edge to edge. Don't use your finger nails (or anything else) to try to press the tape down around the red lens orientation indicator or it will risk tearing.
    _MG_0001.JPG

For text on the top of the EVF, cut a strip and wrap it so it goes all the way around - this will keep the edges of the tape away from fingers sliding around.
    _MG_0002.JPG

For the branding below the EVF button, fall just short of the flat surface so fingers sliding around the chamfer don't catch/lift an edge.
    _MG_0003.JPG

The lens is tricky, I had to be careful with the plastic circle template or I'd cut into it. Hold the template up to the lens and find out what the inner and outer diameters are of the flat surface. You can see that I covered "Leica" at the top, and the other text below. It would look cleaner if I went all the way around. Use your tweezer to press the tape to the surface.
    _MG_0004.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    looks good, I just hope it won't remove some of the prints after a couple of months.

6. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    It shouldn't - the tape is just a bit more adhesive than masking tape. But that would actually be really cool if it took off the text, haha.

• Like Like x 1
  7. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

I think you meant "discreet". But it looks great, almost like a Leica M that someone was trying to disguise. :wink:

Perhaps you should buy a Leica badge from eBay, stick it on the GX1 then tape over it ...

8. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I did the same thing with my PL25. Covered the red dot and the "25" with tape.

9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    That's a sweet setup. I'd definitely cover up all the distracting text/branding junk if I had one. :)