1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Black vs silver

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Dangermouse1968, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    Sorry if this has been asked before but why are black camera's more expensive than silver?

Just been looking at the GX1 - silver £299 - black £339 - so 13-14% more expensive for the black one.

Does that happen with other bodies?

How can it be justified? (people prefer black bodies so let's make me pay!???)

Thanks,

David

2. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    The GF5 in black is consistently cheaper then the red or silver versions.

3. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

The OMD in black is the same price as silver and a lot easier to get hold of.

4. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Black gx1 on us amazon is alao cheaper than silver if i remember correctly, moreover since they sell more of those there are also many more cheap refurbished/amazon warehouse offers on them.

5. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
    Seems that the black is £14 more expensive than the silver on amazon uk :-(

6. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    Once you go black you dont go back?

lol

• Like Like x 2
  7. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Just checked Amazon US for current prices of GX1 ... and you're right!
    The black one is currently $0.95 more expensive than the silver on US Amazon :D

But like-new ones sell from $310 in its Used section...

EDIT: That's the body-only prices... BUT, silver is $20 more than black for the version w/ kit lens.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
    And that's the bloody problem, having had black camera bodies all my life I can't do with anything else!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Black makes it go faster.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    I'd be ok with silver or something, but any of those funky colors and I feel like I'm drawing too much attention to my self lol!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    No kidding...

I have to wonder, if a Nikon rep came up to you and said Here, take this Nikon D4, it is yours, free, and will be replaced by a D5, free.

The only catch, is it is pink and yellow with hello kitty cartoons on it, and this is the ONLY camera you are allowed to use.

Would you do it?

I wouldnt. lol. it would be hard capturing the moment when everyone is staring at you.

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1! :biggrin:

13. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I got silver to match the Oly lenses. It's the first silver/chrome camera I've had in a decade and it gets waaaaay too mch attention. My second body will be a black one.

Gordon

14. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I would ... and become a kids portrait photographer! :thumbup:

15. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Back in my Contax G2 rangefinder days I had both a black and sliver body. It was nice to be able to easily differentiate between two otherwise identical cameras if/when I had different films in them.

That's no longer a concern, and like then, I prefer to have gear that attracts less attention or looks overtly professional.

Having said that, the silver [gray?] GX1 body doesn't appear very 'bling' to me and I think I'd be happy to own one as a spare if I could find one cheap enough.

16. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    We were discussing something similar in another thread. Purple is super cheap!

26314_1.

A few years ago I was broke and got my good P&S stolen (Fuji F30). I needed to buy something cheap and used but also with decent IQ. I saw that the Fuji Z3 was the best bang for the buck at around $75 used at the time. But I also saw that the pink one could be had for $25. I bought it and used it until I could afford something different. At least the back was silver! haha

FinePix-Z3-pink.

17. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I would take it and put black tape all over it! :biggrin:

18. wlsinwi

wlsinwi Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    I guess some feel black is a stealth color and not as noticeable as say a more flashy silver or red. Personally I prefer a mix for a classic look. E.G. silver body with black leatherette panel.

19. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Black is the new black. Thinking of colours... can't imaging being taken seriously with a pink camera body. Silver is bad enough on my O 75 f1.8.

20. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I know you're joking, but there's a big difference between silver and "pink and yellow with hello kitty cartoons". I ordered a black OMD and received a silver one (dealer mistake), but after looking it over I decided it was just fine. Looks (and more importantly works) great with all my lenses, including the black ones and silver ones and striped ones and 'titanium' ones etc.

(The silver OMD isn't all silver of course; it's about half black, which makes it look perfect with black or silver or any combination.)