Black Rapid or Black Widow?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by BillW, Aug 8, 2013.

1. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    Looking for comments on two possible ways of carrying my G5 camera:

I want something to replace the OEM camera strap that makes my camera stick out in front of me and have something that will let me take my camera out and about without getting in the way.

I'm trying out a friend's Black Rapid strap right now, but not sure if I like the swinging camera (even when it's secured, there is still movement) and the cross-strap.

Looking at the Spider Holster Black Widow (and some eBay knockoffs), but am thinking ahead to the fall/winter and it may not be too easy to get my coat over that.

Ugh...decisions...

Anybody have similar issues?

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Gunga Din - trusted man servant and bearer.

3. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Never used the Black Widow, but for sling straps, I prefer the Joby UltraFit
    Camera Straps: UltraFit Sling Strap for Men by JOBY

You can pull it up tight to your body when you are moving, bending over, etc. And when you are shooting, loosen it out. I find it very effective and it is a preferred way of carrying the camera when I am going with a kit small enough to throw extra lenses in my pockets.

4. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I'm thinking maybe a black widow holster and a wrist strap might be a good option...

5. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I am not sure but maybe you would like to consider Peak design too. I have their cuff and leash and they are awesome for mu43. I actually want to get their capture thing but I have no use for them.

They released a version two already.
    https://peakdesignltd.com/

6. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I have been using Black Rapid- excellent.

If the looseness/swinging bothers you, rest your hand on the swivel and it stops.

7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The Black Widow - I did not like the weight on my belt or having to use two hands to unlock and remove the camera. Peak Design's Capture were the same issues plus with the micro plate you can only place your camera into the clip in one direction. The ArcaPlate or Dual Plate work well and not too large for the OM-D EM-5.

The Joby is very well made and comfortable - but didn't function as I thought. The strap moves significantly as you loosen and tighten it. I'm 6' 1" and the front of the strap (at the adjustment point) was typically on the top of my shoulder when pulled it small enough to keep it next to my body. I also had to make larger movements than I expected to lengthen or reduce the strap length. Watch their videos and noticed the exaggerated movements.

I ended up getting and use the BlackRapid Metro strap. It is not bulky and works well. You can tuck your camera into your back and lock a strap lock to keep it there. I had doubts about my camera/lens hanging from the tripod socket but use BlackRapids all the time and have not a problem in two years.

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    +1

I have the capture (good to great for MFT, absolutely fantastic for a full-sized DSLR when hiking), leash and cuff. All great products. I think the leash and cuff are ideal for MFT - narrow straps, yes, but a perfect size for 'our' system (even an E-M5 with 100-300, which is one of the heavier combos)

9. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I have both the Black Rapid metro and the Carry Speed Slim. I like the BR strap better but it does not provide a way to use the strap and tripod at same time, which the Carry Speed does.

Here is another option, it claims to stay in place:
    Camera Straps: UltraFit Sling Strap for Men by JOBY

10. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Al
    I have the Peak Design Capture system. I guess it is V1 since it doesn't look like the V2 photos. I have used it on my belt, on a belt loop and on the strap of a small camera bag. It works fine in any of those locations with a G5 or G1 body. I used it with a 85mm f/1.4 lens which is much heavier than the G bodies. I have no problem removing or returning the camera to the clip with one hand and it seems secure when mounted. One disadvantage is the plate attached to the camera is not compatible with my tripod, so I would have to change plates to use the camera on a tripod. Also, I think the Capture is a little pricey at $80, but it does seem very well made of good materials.

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    BigOwl: the Peak design plates are fully ArcaSwiss compatible, which is more or less the most common tripod plate mount system out there. Odds are, you can swap out the head or just the connector on your tripod to suit.

12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I've used both and rarely use the Black Widow any more. That being said however, I can see different purposes for the two. the Rapid is much more flexible on how it hangs. If you are getting in and out of the car to find different perspectives of a shoot, I find the Rapid much more convenient. If you do a lot of running through the field, I can imagine the Widow could be more manageable. I personally wasn't very dextrous releasing the Widow from my belt. All-in-all I believe that each individual needs to see how each best works for him/her.

13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am currently trying to find a solution myself. I have bought and tried several of the cheaper ebay items. I have a sling rig{black rapid copy} from some Korean company, it works but I am not extremely impressed. I just got a Chinese made knock-off of the Black Widow holster and it works good{the materials are sub-par however - the release is not going to last and the threads on the ball mount were rough}.

I am going to try the design from this video.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ox6YNBDZRaA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    I bought the Manfrotto 384 quick release and it is awesome!

14. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I like to buy knockoffs or cheap stuff too such as bags, triggers, accessories but for holsters or straps I tend to stay away from them as I can only imagine how bad I would feel if I save $10-20 to buy the knockoff only to end up with a damage camera due to it failing at some point.:eek:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

15. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I have Black Rapid and OM-D, didn't like the BR on OM-D because it feels to light, big DSLR was good but this isn't. Prefer a classic strap, will try a wrist bag though.

16. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Like when SmugMug gave away straps that failed and a few $5000 camera bounced off the pavement!

17. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    gahhh I did not realized some of those straps failed :eek: They were indeed offering them around the time I was choosing between Smugmug and Zenfolio.

18. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My thought was to buy a cheap copy and if I liked it then I would spend the big bucks.

19. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    Now I'm seeing the Capture v2 available through Kickstarter for $50...pretty enticing, except the fact that the regular capture (not the pro) has a 1.5" square mount, which will definitely stick out past the base of my G5.

20. Tsuioku

Tsuioku New to Mu-43

Aug 14, 2013
    Vancouver (Canada)
    I was at a wedding recently and noticed that the photographer had a belt system where you remove the camera by rotating it 90 degrees. A plate was used in this case instead of a ball stud. Sadly I don't know what make/model it is.