Black Friday decision between EM10v2 and EM5v2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Swandy, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    There is a $300 difference between the EM10v2 and the EM5v2. I have the EM10v1 and am very happy with the size weight. I recently got the 12-40Pro and even though I was initially concerned with the balance of that lens on my EM10, I have found that it is (for me) a very comfortable combination. (I generally use a neck/shoulder strap when walking around and always hold the camera with one hand under the lens if that matters to your opinions BTW.)

Anyway I want to take advantage of the BF sales and upgrade to one of the v2 cameras. (EM5v2 is $850 and the EM10v2 is $550.) I initially thought I would go for the EM5v2 -but more for the impression that it would balance better with the 12-40. (And yes, I plan on going to Adorama on Sunday and checking the "feel" of both bodies with my 12-40 lens.) But considering that both bodies are pretty much the same size dimension wise - yes I realize that the EM5v2 is about 30% heavier which might make the balance with the heavier lens more comfortable - and the 12-40 has felt very comfortable on my EM10, now I am not so sure.

From what I have seen the two main advantages of the EM5v2 is the weather sealing and the hi-res photo mode. I have had various slr/dslrs for about 45 years and only one or two of them were "weather sealed", and I only have one (the 12-40) lens that is weather sealed. I have never had an issue in all that time. And since I rarely either (1) make huge enlargements of static, scenic scenes and rarely carry a tripod, I don't see myself making much practical use of the hi-res mode.

The one advantage for me is that the EM5v2 has more available function buttons and that dual mode switch for changing settings. (I like to use the digital teleconverter built into the Olympus cameras but it only really works if you are shooting either JPEG all the time - which I don't - or you switch from RAW - what I usually shoot - to RAW+JPEG.)

I realize that this is an over simplified comparison of the two cameras - what am I missing that would justify the $300 difference?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays, Steve
  2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Couple things that would be important for me:

- Minimal shutter speed 1/4000 vs. 1/16000 Shutter speeds are same
    - EVF magnification: 1.08 vs. 1.48
    - EM5 II is freezproof and dustproof

Price-wise I would wait for Olympus 15-20% off sale that happens every couple months and pick refurbished EM5 II plus 2 years extended warranty.

It's 469 vs. 390 grams, or about 20%, not 30%.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  3. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Is the difference between the E-M10 i and the E-M10 ii worth the upgrade? It doesn't seem like it to me, to be honest. If I were you, I'd rather invest in lenses (or just save the cash).
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA

I believe the E-M10 II also has the electronic shutter which also allows the 1/16000th max shutter. The mechanical shutter though is capped at 1/4000th.
  5. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    I just went through this myself and got the E-M5 MK II. I feel the viewfinder was better and the 1/8000th shutter was very important to me after using the E-M5 with 1/4000th and fast glass outdoors. I also like having the grips on the cameras with the vertical controls, and not having to swap batteries is a bonus.
    I went to a local shop and actually handled both cameras. So that helped with my decision.
  6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Thanks! Corrected.
  7. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Just and FYI, you can get the EM-1 refurb on the Olympus site for $714. I would go with that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Based on my personal experience, I wouldn't buy Olympus camera without warranty.
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You get a 90 day warranty and 30 day money back guarantee straight from Olympus. I bought my E-M5 II refurb'ed and it's worked flawlessly.