1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Black EP2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chrism_scotland, Jul 26, 2011.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Just wondering, I've been looking at the EP2 with the prices falling now due to the EP3's imminent launch and ideally if I'm going to pick one up I'd like to add a silver one, however these don't seem to be as cheap, I can pickup a Black EP2 body only for £350 but the Silver seems to be at least £100 more - I know it might sound silly but I just think the Silver looks better - aside from looks is there any reason not to buy the black one?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would pay the extra for the silver finish if you like it. That finish is what I love best about my E-P1, and one of the reasons I can't get rid of it. On the E-P2 it is much rarer to find that finish, as the option was not provided until long after the E-P2's release, and is only available in certain locales. In my part of Canada it is not available at all.

However, you also have to remember that most lenses are black, and look good on a black camera. ;) The black textured finish of the E-PL2 grew on me very quickly, and I actually prefer it to my E-P1's silver finish in how it feels and the bold look it has.

However, the silver finish can match up beautifully with a classic silver rangefinder lens, like this 1953 Jupiter-3... ;)
    jupiter-3_web.

Black absorbs heat and makes your camera run hotter? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The Black EPL2 is a beauty, and it almost lured me into getting an EPL2 a few months back (just when the EP3 rumors firmed up, so I waited). But the black EPL2 finish is a long ways off from the EP2 finish, the latter of which has shown a propensity to chip and, for my money, looks more coffee or chocolate, than black.

I think outside of the EPL1, the EP2 in black is the weakest looking camera in Oly's m43 line ups. I'd say get the silver, or an EPL2, or one of the new 3 series. Of course, this is all personal preference. YMMV.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, I have to agree.

5. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I think its the worry that the black would chip off that puts me off, the silver is just that silver! - I'm currently swithering between picking up a used Panasonic G1 for £130 or upgrading to an EP2 - but to be honest I think I'll go for the G1 to complement my EP1 just now and upgrade properly to one of the new Pens once the prices settle a little later in the year.

6. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    I can not say that I have seen a huge number of bodies in person to judge the shades of black, but the couple of Black E-PL1s I have seen looked black and the Black E-PL2 I bought looks black. I wonder if you got one that wasn't quite right? I have not had mine long enough to comment about chipping, but I hope it is not overly prone to that.

The silver looks nice. I tend toward black bodies anyway so I am predisposed to prefer it I suppose, but I think a black body, in general, is less conspicuous. I guess that is why they make vanilla and chocolate...personally I don't see why they make anything other than butter pecan, but that is another story. :rolleyes:

Cheers

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    EPL1 and EPL2 is black. EP2 is not. It's spray painted brown on silver.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-PL2 has a more textured black finish, and I think it rocks! :) It has a very nice look and feel to it. The silver is more eye-catching, but the textured black finish on the E-PL2 has a more luxurious feel in the hand. The black on the E-P2 and E-PL1 however, are both different. I don't mind the E-P2, but I really don't like the E-PL1... style/look wise. My two favorite finishes though are the silver (E-P1, E-P2, or E-P3) and the black on the E-PL2. Something about the Panasonic GF-2 in black is also very well done.

In other words, to me all blacks are not equal. xD

9. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Ouch! Well, you may be right, but when I got the black E-P2, it was always with the assumption that I would be covering the metallic 'middle' with the Aki-Asahi leatherette skin.

I am also in the camp that prefers silver - my E-P1 was silver. You do need to protect the bottom, especially around the tripod mount - I always end up with scratches there if I don't tape it. The semi-matte black of the black versions is easiest to 'repair' with a little paint.

Interesting that the silver of the new E-P3 doesn't match the silver of the new lenses. Black, I believe, goes with everything...:biggrin:

10. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Right enough I've seen an EP2 in a shop and it did seem to be browny rather than black, the EPL2 is a lovely looking camera, but I really wanted the rear controls from the EP1/EP2!

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's pretty much true. You can throw a black adapter between a silver lens and silver body, and it looks fine. You can throw a black lens on a red body, and it looks fine. You can throw a black tux on a hippie, and he'll blend in. :D

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think black done properly is very nice indeed, but I'm too in love with my silver EP1 to change. I wouldn't, for instance, want my 5D in anything OTHER than black :)

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Hmmmm... yeah, I wouldn't go for the lower dial (around the four way) as my only control. I really need that upper thumb dial.

The silver EP2s still should be cheaper than EP3s, no?

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The rotary dial is actually an efficient design and a lot faster for long travel (ie, if you were scrolling all the way from f/2 to to f/22 for instance) as you can continue scrolling without removing your finger.

However, Olympus totally ruined the system by adding "button" functions on the four quadrants of the dial. That's what makes it so you can't operate the rotary dial to its full potential, because scrolling it without slow careful control will cause you to enter one of the dedicated button functions instead. A nice idea turned sour. I think it could have been executed a lot better, although I've learned to live with it. ;)

I would think so!

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yes! That really is the issue, isn't it. I think in my old Canon G9 (or it might have been a different camera), I could turn off the button functions, but keep the rotary dial. I don't think it works that way in the Oly. It's either all on or all off.

16. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    Spray paint over silver...Boo! Hiss!

I can see why it is not your favorite.

If the silver of the EP3 and its lenses does not match, I wonder what the story is. That should not be. It is Olympus' premier camera body, and a very nice one at that from all reports.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    So could you save money by buying a black E-P2 and sanding off the paint, rather than buying a silver E-P2? :D

18. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    If you are in the market for an EP2, cruse the deals pages such as 1001 Noisy Cameras as there are various deals which seem to be popping up for a little while and then disappearing. There was a two lens kit for the E-PL2, for example that was a nice deal, but it disappeared in a few days. The same with the $150 M.Zuiko 40-150mm that was listed in the deals section of this site from Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and more!

I get the feeling that Olympus and the merchants are clearing out the inventory of the "old" stuff clearing the way for the new -3 series of things. There are some changes involved as well. The E-P3 comes with a 14-42 IIR lens which is supposed to help out the faster focus system of the body and there is rumored to be a M.Zuiko 40-150mm IIR coming soon to add to the selection of faster focusing lenses.

So if you are looking for a good deal, this is the time to keep an eye out.

[Edit] P.S. Here is another deal: http://dealnews.com/Olympus-E-P2-12...amera-Lens-for-500-free-shipping-/480045.html
    Have fun looking.

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hmmmm.. I'm thinking about that, and what if they had instead used a 4-way button system like the Olympus Tough (pictured below), surrounded by a rotary dial? That would take up more space, yes, but would be so much easier to use! Plus, it could probably be designed to give button-pushers the option of using the buttons instead of the dial for directional control. Or maybe they should just stick with the thumb dial, lol.
    olympus_tough8000_controls_back.

20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland