1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Black E-M5 looking better to me every day

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I want a silver one to match my Oly 45/1.8, but waiting is getting harder and harder. I've had a couple chances to snag a black one.

Black is looking really good right now. Trying... to... resist...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I hear it calling your name .... AAAMINNNN, AAAMINNNN.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Be strong, Amin! You must resist!

Actually, that black looks pretty nice.....

• Like Like x 1
  4. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    I like how the black one looks with the grip though. Still that silver one looks awfully nice.

5. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    I'm in the same boat! :) My local shop gets the black kit all the time. I am almost in there 2-3 times a week. I have had a chance to buy the black one 4 times now while waiting for the silver to come in. I couldn't take it anymore and told them today. The next kit to come in is mine..Black or Silver!..lol

I think I have talked myself into thinking the black will look better with my grip :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    The 45/1.8 has really thrown a wrench into my all-important coordination plans.

I bought a Silver E-PM1 to go with the silver 45mm. Then I sold my black 17mm for a silver version.

Then I bought a PL25 and GH2, both black, and now everything is messed up.

I think the safe bet from now on is to purchase only black and forgive the 45mm for being different.

• Like Like x 1
  7. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    There is a black one available in the classifieds...

• Like Like x 1
  8. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    Duke..I would be all over it, if it wasn't for the fact I REALLY like my local shop. :smile: I have been in there so many times talking about this camera and have history with them I'm trying my hardest to wait just to be loyal...its killing me!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    I just got mine today and I have to say, I'm not sure I'll need or even want another camera! The only thing that bugs me is the power switch, but I imagine it wont be an issue after more time using it.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is exactly why I would have pre-ordered the black if I had pre-ordered at all. I knew that's what would be available first. ;) I do like the way the black looks anyways. After the problems with colorw and kit availability with the E-P1, I only pre-order the "default kit" from now on. In the case of the E-M5 I knew that default kit would be the black with kit zoom. Their website and advertising will usually tell you what they're shipping first, if you look at the pretty pictures. xD

11. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Supposedly the texture of the grippy plastic is better on the silver one. Hold out, I would say!

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If only the 45 1.8 came in black!

13. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    I've been hoping that olympus has been keeping the black lenses for their "pro" m43, in which case they would be weather sealed too :D

14. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Amin :smile:
    I can help u , buy black and send it to me . I will paint it silver and send it back to u but paint can take 2-3 weeks to dry ..
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

15. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Mine came in, in silver but had an issue. They have offered me a black one since, but I'm still holding out for silver as I prefer the texture. Hold off, its not like you don't have another camera.

16. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Get blaaaaaack ... I hear the silver clashes with the silver of the 45mm anyway ...

17. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Silver matches pretty damn close to the 45. It's like a black body with a black lens. Not exactly the same black, but indistinguishable.

18. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    I think the black looks neater than the silver one, specially the back side, because on the black the shadows of the ridges and bumps of the camera are harder to spot than the silver one. Look at the pictures of the silver camera, around the "hump" of the EVF. It looks so busy! I got a black OM-D and I couldn't be happier. It looks fantastic, even sexy! For me it has the right retro-current balance.

Oh, and the diagonal pattern in the grip looks great (it is not slippery at all). Anyway, I am using it with the external grip, which by the way matches the camera better than the silver (everything black).

Obviously I like the black, did you notice? :)

19. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I actually don't care for the silver at all. Perhaps it's just the finish (I prefer the "chrome" finish on the E-P3 more).

They're both good looking, of course. I prefer the black actually because of the grip. I like the look of the texture of the grip on the black more (talk about superficial).

If Darth Vader had a camera, it would be a black E-M5. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  20. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Yeah, i never was crazy about the silver. I've seen some shots where it looks a little cheap, but the black only looks amazing ;)