Black circle/dot in the picture

roddur

Mu-43 Rookie
hi,
i was testing different exposure setting on my em-5. at longer exposure i found a black dot/circle in the shot. changed to a different lens still the same result.

what do you guys think it is? dust on the em-5 sensor?

thanx

Edit : closely looking at the lcd now i see light black circle already there before any taking any shot.

Attachments

• BlackDot.jpg
    BlackDot.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 147

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
The good news is it is easy to clone it out with many different post processing tools. But you do want that dust bunny off the sensor.

mjgraaf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Menno
Seen this recently with the EM1. Only saw it once, did not see it back?

Sent from my C6503 using Tapatalk

owczi

nareteV 34-uM
@roddur: what aperture was this? Must be a pretty big spot even if it was f/22. I previously had one on my E-P2 and I could only see it at F/32 using a macro lens and I saw it with naked eye on the sensor, so you will see yours as well. If this doesn't go away after power cycling the camera a few times, you can try a blower. If it doesn't move, the sensor will have to be cleaned. Olympus don't recommend doing it yourself on newer gen bodies yourself because of the new IBIS mechanism, but if you do decide to clean it yourself, get the right size of sensor swabs and liquid like Eclipse (http://photosol.com/) - you can also buy full kits. Just make sure you use very little force and you should be good. Otherwise get a camera repair place or Olympus to clean it for you.

In DSLRs the sensor is well protected by the mirror. In mirrorless I would recommend changing lenses quick and body down, always keeping your lenses rear capped, and making sure your legacy lenses and adapters are free of dust as well. With all that you'll probably get dust anyway, just with less probability :) I mean, don't wear a surgical mask, just take good care of the kit - not saying that you don't.

@mjgraaf: If this was dust, maybe the built-in sensor cleaner tech shook it off and trapped it on next restart(s)

roddur

Mu-43 Rookie
@owczi, took several shots at f16 and above (that's why the shutter was long), this showed up. as i mentioned i can now see a light black circle looking through lcd and evf. there is a small speck on the sensor when removed the lens. tried to blow it, didn't move.

that speck is at lower half of the sensor, yet the dot is at upper half of pics. so i guess that spec is causing the problem.

that dust on the sensor is big makes me want to use a cotton swab and be done with it :)

lightmonkey

Mu-43 Veteran
@owczi, took several shots at f16 and above (that's why the shutter was long), this showed up. as i mentioned i can now see a light black circle looking through lcd and evf. there is a small speck on the sensor when removed the lens. tried to blow it, didn't move.

that speck is at lower half of the sensor, yet the dot is at upper half of pics. so i guess that spec is causing the problem.

that dust on the sensor is big makes me want to use a cotton swab and be done with it :)

image axes are reversed when they pass through the lens :)

owczi

nareteV 34-uM

I know that feeling. As tempting as it is, don't. Maybe you wouldn't necessary damage it, but you'd still make a right mess. Although this isn't the actual sensor but a glass plate in front of it, you still need a non-abrasive and lint-free material. Would you clean your eyeball with a cotton swab? :] Sensor swabs are usually pieces of residue free material (like PEC-pad) wrapped around little icecream-type spatulas.

You can also try shouting at the camera, I once heard of a guy who scared a bottle of beer and it opened.

gs94121

Mu-43 Regular
I received brand new E-M1 from repair under 1 year warranty to clean the sensor image after I noticed the black speck spot on upper right corner:

1) Shooting at f/8 and smaller at any shutter speed, the spot will appear
2) Shooting at f/8 and larger at any shutter speed, the spot will not appear

Now, it is gone as they were inspected & cleaned by Olympus repair facility in East Coast.

Latest threads

Top Bottom