1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Black Border Photos

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by dtchan, Oct 17, 2011.

1. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I always liked square format photos, but haven't really taken a lot of them. I saw someone added black borders to their photos and thought I would give it a try. What do you guys think? Not too sure if I should move my watermark to the border or just leave it on the photo. If I remember correctly, all the photos are taken with the Olympus 45mm. Edit with Lightroom and Color Efex 4. Really liking the improvements and new features of Efex 4.

1. @ Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver
    [​IMG]

2. Market @ Granville Island
    [​IMG]

3.@ Queen Elizabeth
    [​IMG]

4. Father & Son @ Granville Island
    111015_QE_Park_135.

5. Reminds me of the movie Nine
    111015_QE_Park_181-Edit-Edit.

6. The last two shots the sun was hitting directly at the guy's face and my lens. The pictures were lacked contrast and was quite murky, but converting to b/w turned out great I think. I ended ordering a hood for it. Let's see how it goes.
    111015_QE_Park_204-Edit.

111015_QE_Park_205-Edit.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Wow, some beautiful shots here. I like black borders but I think perhaps these are a tad wide for my taste as they distract my eye from the subject a little. I like the watermarks where they are as they are barely visible and therefore not at all distracting. Love the colours in your first flower shot :)

3. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    I'm a big fan of black borders due to the cinema style feel they give a picture.

4. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

Funny you should say that... that's exactly the idea I had with my most recent photos. :wink: Was going for a dreamy fairytale, cinematic kind of look... It was sparked off by the first photo I think. Then I tried it with some others too.

I used some desaturating, applying a sort of colour gradient, re-saturating... then cross processing and some selective glamour glow or soft focus effect with Nik color efex. The black bars complete the look. :smile: For some reason I find that some photos just seem very suited for the black bars. They don't have the same impact without.

Really like the ones in the OP too, and especially the doll and father & son.

6250602056_7113c9e74d_z.
    Lost in Mushroom Land by Janine4d, on Flickr

6250629169_e89599107c_z.
    Mushroom Aquarium by Janine4d, on Flickr

6250784105_a94f406478_z.
    Mushroom Hill by Janine4d, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  5. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Awesome mushroom pics you got there! Yah I do find sometimes the black bars do complete the look. Yah I am not entirely sure to keep it this thick or have it thinner like you have.

6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I like the effect, though would personally go with a bit smaller black bars. I wonder if this would be useful for framing purposes to get your prints to a certain aspect ratio.

How did you do it? I'm hoping it was done on the LR side..

7. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    It is done with LR/Mogrify 2 Plugin which allows you to do a lot of customization on how you want to output the photos.