1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Black-and-White Raw Images?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Rick Waldroup, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    I shoot with a Lumix GF-1. I switched the film setting to B&W Dynamic Mode just to play around a bit and it appears that the raw images as well as the jpgs are in B&W. Is this right? I have shot other digital cameras in B&W modes and it always converts the jpgs to B&W but leaves the raw images as normal.

2. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

No, the RAW is not converted to B&W.

3. Rick Waldroup

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    Grant, when I open the RAW images up, they are in B&W. I've never seen anything like this before.

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The raw converter you're using is "honoring" the b+w film setting from the camera. If you find the control in the raw converter it will probably show "as shot" or "B&W Dynamic Mode" as a setting. Change this to a color choice and you should be OK.

Fred

5. What processing software are you using? I've read elsewhere that some software packages automatically apply the b&w jpg setting to the Panasonic rw2 file, but the colour data is all there if you apply your own profiles. No personal experience here though - I'm only regurgitating what I've heard.

6. Rick Waldroup

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    Thank you, Fred. I knew it had to be something that was causing it because I was pretty certain that there was no way the camera could convert the RAW images to B&W. This shows how little I use the film modes in my camera. I always convert the images to B&W during PP.

7. Rick Waldroup

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    Nic, I have the original version of Lightroom which I have been using for several years now. Of course, it does not have a conversion profile for the GF-1, so when I load the photos into Lightroom, it only loads the JPG's. I started using the software that came with the camera to load the RAW files, the Panasonic HD 4.0.

Is one able to update Lightroom so it will convert my RAW images from the GF-1, via a plug-in of some sort?

8. Not sure about Adobe lightroom. I use the latest Adobe DNG Converter to convert to DNG before opening in Photoshop (older version, CS3).

9. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Hi Rick,

Not sure whether it will work, but you can try to download latest Adobe Camera Raw. Recent LR version uses ACR to convert RAW files.

10. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    LR doesn't actually "use" ACR. LR has the same code as ACR built into itself. Updating ACR won't do anything for LR.

You can either convert the raw files to DNG files using the free Adobe converter or upgrade LR.

The upgrade to LR 3 is well worth it.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Or purchase Aperture 3 ... last I heard it was $88 ... I'm getting to like A3. See what happens Rick when you try to get fancy with the film modes ... remember KISS. Did the B&W out-of-the-camera JPEGS save you any processing time?

G