Black and White in Digital

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
I like Lightzone too.

If I know I'm doing black and white in the end, I just let the camera do it. The G1 takes great black and white images right in the camera.

andyw

Mu-43 Veteran
I use Lightroom for just about all my post processing. The good thing about lightroom is that you can change the color sliders which will have an effect on the converted B&W image so you can get it perfect if you spent enough time fiddling.

Lightroom also has presets which you can download from the internet which can make it all quite interesting as you can see an effect instantly. Progs like Silver Effex do make life a lot easier and quicker but are not needed.

alessandro

Mu-43 Regular
I found useful this one too, for grabbing some concepts/techniques:
Petteri's BW

And yes, Nik silver efex is terrific. The main point, in my opinion, is not to emulate film, but to apply analog-like techniques to the digital workflow.
Well... there's no real need to self inflict limitations we don't have any more, but a good method helps to stay focused! :th_salute:

Alessandro

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Andy, thanks for your input. I find it very helpful and sometimes confusing:wink: but always worth while to read what different people have found they prefer. Right now I'm still doing nothing but my minor tweaks with iPhoto, except I did try the in camera editing on the E-P and find it too annoying. texascbx, perhaps the G1 is better or you have more patience than I do.:smile:

alessandro - thank you! That site looks very good and I will add it to my bookmarked reading list.

Unlike many, black and white was not my first love back in ye old days...but now I find I am more and more interested in it.

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Bibble 5.01-Again

Thanks so much for your suggestion, grcolts. Very kind of you...does it work on "just jpegs"? I'll definitely take a look at it later on!
Bibble works with JPEGS, RAW, and Tiff.
The more I use this program the more I like it.
It is missing some things from the earlier version but my understanding is that those missing features are on way in free updates.
GR

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I have read the replies from people on this forum about using their scanned b&w negatives with various digital software programs. My question is how do you get the best scan for using the negative with them? I have tried local shops to scan some of my negatives and have not been happy with the results. I would love to use some of my film images but am disappointed not being able to print digital results larger than 8x10 with them. So, I am curious what others are doing to get good results? I am probably going to bit the bullet and purchase a scanner but want to make sure I purchase one that would do the job.
GR

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom