Black and White from E-P3 question

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by zerotiu, Oct 15, 2011.

1. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    I usually use DSLR to shoot photos, including BW. My E-P3 arrived yesterday. I found that the monochrome modes is not real black and white. It's more like grey. This is the example :
    DSLR -

I can change the one that produced by e-p3 so it will be more vivid but maybe someone can tell me how to do that from inside the camera.

* and yeah, a black object seems to be so noisy even at ISO 200. I've disabled Noise Filter and noise reduction is Auto.
  2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    It is just a contrast different and easy to fix with levels/histogram. The good news is the E-P3 will be less likely to chip your data.

If you want to do it in camera, there should be a contrast option you can increase. The problem is that if the scene is higher contrast than that, you will want to lower the contrast. Not all situations are going to be equal.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Check your PM fir the stuff about monochrome.

If you disable noise filter, you are going to get noise particularly on the blacks and underexposed areas. And if you are shooting monotone, you will likely see more noise because there's more blacks than in a color pic.

On the other hand, black and white photos with noise are like grains in the old film photos. So they look cool with the "grain."
    • Like Like x 1
  4. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Use NIK's Silver EFX Pro and then your conversions will really pop.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Yes, silverefex pro.. I will try to use that :). Thank you guys!
  6. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    +1 on silver efex - different photos lend themselves to different B&W treatments.