Black 12mm Oly Lens not recognized by OM-D

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by photographer-for-life, Oct 26, 2012.

1. photographer-for-life

photographer-for-life Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2011
    I tried to post this question before but the Thread didn't go through - so I hope this isn't a double post ... so here is my question (again):
    I took possession of the 12mm Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f/2.0 Lens Special Edition today and when I mount the lens on the OM-D E-M5, the lens does not seem to be recognized by the OM-D as suggested by the EXIF data. In Lightroom the program tells me it's a 12mm lens but not that it's the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f/2.0 Lens. In Aperture the "info" says unknown lens. The OM-D shows the correct firmware (1.5 for the E-M5, 1.0 for the lens).
    Does this mean that this is a defective lens (ie contacts) or does Olympus simply need to update their software (or do I merely need to chill)?
    Thanks,

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If the pictures look right and the distortion is getting automatically corrected for in-camera JPEGs and by your RAW converters, then you merely need to chill :smile:.

Probably the camera will need a firmware update to properly register the lens name.

• Like Like x 1
  3. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I believe this is a known issue:
    The OM-D EM-5 automatically rejects recognizing any lens that is more expensive then itself.

• Like Like x 3
  4. photographer-for-life

May 21, 2011
    Interesting - thank you for the link. RAW and JPEGs look virtually identical in LR, so I guess the camera does recognize the lens and does apply the appropriate corrections - super. I'll chill happily.
    The lens is gorgeous BTW.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    :rofl:

RAW and JPEGs looking the same in LR means that either both are getting the corrections (camera recognizes lens) or neither are getting the corrections (lens not recognized). Just make sure that straight lines near the edges of the frame look more like the top figure in the link I provided and not like the bottom figure and you should be all set.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Then that means that the omd is cheaper than the o45 cause in my camera it doesn't show up the name of the lens either! Haha!

7. photographer-for-life

May 21, 2011
    Thanks - both JPEGs and RAWs look perfectly straight - so I'll be alright - thanks for the help.

• Like Like x 1