Black 12mm Oly at B&H

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by digitalandfilm, Oct 20, 2012.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    $1099.99? :eek:

Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm f/2.0 Lens Limited V311021BU000

Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm f/2.0 Lens Limited Edition (Black)
    LH-48 Lens Hood for Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f/2.0 Lens
    LC-48 Metal Lens Cap
    PRF-D46PRO Protective Filter
    260056 LR-2 Rear Lens Cap For E-P1 Lenses
    Instruction Manual
    1-Year Limited Warranty
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Yes, that's what 'special edition' gets you. Considering the $300 more you're paying, they really ought to be embarrassed by the 1-year warranty.
  3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Well the 1 year warranty is only guaranteeing how long it will be a limited edition, just like the black 17 was.
  4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd lilke it better if it didn't say "Limited Black" on it. Cheesy. "Limited" would have sufficed, just painting it black and letting it be would have been even better.
  5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    My god, it comes with a hood. What a bargain.
  6. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    This is kind of insulting to see. I would love a black version of this lens...but I'm not gonna pay extra for it.

I mean people will buy it I'm sure...but it's just been painted black.

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    But if B&H has it listed correctly, the hood isn't black!!! :rolleyes: Sheeeeshhhh. :frown:
  8. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Has anyone tried painting or sharpie'ing the 12 or 45 yet? I'm damn tempted to try it w/ some black plastic model paint on my 45...
  9. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    I'm just really happy to see that Olympus is capable of selling a m43 lens bundled with the hood. :p
  10. jse75

jse75 New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2010
    It's a little more than a little expensive for a black color instead of silver. C'mon.
  11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Someone has to be first! :D

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I'd bet it could be done (nicely) with duracoat, as long as you managed to avoid getting anything on the elements.

At least now know we know what it takes to get Olympus to include a hood with a lens :rolleyes:
  13. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    A few years ago, when I was an OM user, Olympus used to sell their lenses with the appropriate cases or a very nice leather pouch, that I still have. The black "Limited Edition" doesn't offer even a bag to protect this "collector" item, investment that will acquire value with time, as some vintage lenses actually do.
  14. f64

f64 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2010
    C'mon, it comes with a lens hood.:eek:
    And do you know how hard it is to paint around all those tiny numbers and letters? :biggrin:
  15. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    I was able to get one last year when they were relatively new.
    Someone bought one and returned it so I got a nice discount.
    It's a grat lens and one of my favorites.
    The black looks great, but that would be way over what I would want to spend on one.
  16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Too rich for me. Pretty lens though, especially on a black E-M5.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 App
  17. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I've come to the conclusion that silver lenses look just fine on my black EM-5

it is a good looking product though.
  18. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    For $1099 you get lens, hood, protective filter, and metal lens cap. It's expensive, but not $210 for a hood.
  19. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    I'll say it again, check the description of the black 12mm...states tat for $1099 you get: lense, hood, protective filter, and metal lens cap. So w is the hood $210 . Are the filter and cap just free if you buy a hood or $210, don't think so. You cannot buy just the black lense, and purchase hood separately it is a package- lense,hood,filter,metal cap. Please read description and not just assume. Olympus stated it was only available as package. The speed, hell yes it's worth it, and I think it's sharper than the 12-35, but maybe the copy I used was a dud(12-35).
  20. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I tested two examples of the 12/2 and both were noticeably inferior to the 12-35/2.8 at equivalent apertures. I think my experience represents bad luck, but others have reported similar experience...I chose not to try a third time.