Bitter loss in the State championship

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
My wife and I got up early, took our three dogs over to my daughter's home, and left to drive about 165 miles to photograph the 5A (larger schools) State Championship between our school, Northwest Grizzlies with their gold and blue uniforms against a Kansas City area team. Our team was undefeated while the other had lost 2 tough games early in the season. Our school is very diverse in the student body and the other has about 7% diverse students and only one starter on the football field. NW started off in a hole with a missed assignment leading to a wide-open pass for 90 yards and a fumble by NW on their 17-yard line and boom it was 14-0. NW fought back, tied the score at 21 all, at 28 all, 35 all and then the fumbles started again and we lost 49-35. We were appalled at the reports of students drinking and urinating in public by the students of one team as they tailgated the event. Lots of insensitive comments on the field and unsportsmanlike penalties, none of which were against NW. I was sorry to see our seniors lose their last game and although they were very sad they lost with style and grace. Although we have followed and photographed this team for 7 years, we do not overlook their transgressions and we were proud of how they represented. The one picture I have posted is of our student, #90 who has been offered and accepted a scholarship to West Point. He had tackled the opposing quarterback. No talking, no unsportsmanlike conduct like taking off the other team's player's helmet which got one of the penalties. Another photographer friend who works for several major universities was there and he told me that he was very disappointed in the conduct.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Glad you got a season to shoot.

In CA, with the post Thanksgiving covid spike, the start of football season has been pushed from Dec to Jan. But with a covid spike likely after Christmas, I expect another push out in Jan, which will possibly result in the cancellation of season 1 (including football).
The only thing we can shoot is conditioning exercises, where the athletes stay separated.

sigh. covid fatigue, and people just not caring about others.

On a separeate note.
I looked at our season 1 and 2 schedule, and there are very few Saturday day games.
With the compressed seasons, I was expecting Saturday day games, where it is so much easier to shoot in the sunlight.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom