1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bit of a dilemma here, 12mm or 25mm or zoom

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by lowincash, Apr 5, 2012.

1. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I'm having quite a hard time trying to decide which lens to get. I already have the 45mm f1.8 lens to go with the E-M5. I'm looking for another lens to use on my trip to Hawaii this summer. I also have a few legacy lenses (45mm f2, 50mm f1.4, 58mm f1.4 and 135mm f2.8) that I plan on using but would prefer having AF especially during vacation =]

I've been reading on the 12mm lens and looks to be a very great lens. The thing is, I don't usually shoot wide angle. When I had the D7000, I bought a Tokina 11-16 mm lens and thought it was fun but ended up selling it because I hardly used it and usually prefer the more standard range. The 12mm does look like one of those must have lenses for the m43 kit. I'm just afraid I won't use it much.

Second choice would be the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 lens. I really like the 50mm focal length and fast aperture but not sure how it'll perform on the E-M5. I have read about the rattlesnake thing and not sure if it'll be noisy on the E-M5. I had the 20mm f1.7 on the E-P3 before and was annoyed by the aperture noise.

Third is to get the Olympus 14-150mm zoom lens. Might be a good lens to use on my vacation. Since I'm not a zoom kind of guy, not sure how I'll feel having this lens. When I had the NEX-7 recently, I also got the Tamron 18-200mm lens with it and ended up returning it because it hardly gets used. Maybe it's because I always prefer to have a fast lens. I don't want to make the mistake of getting a lens that I won't use that much =/

What's your opinion?

2. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    For assurance, just get a used cheap and tiny pancake 14/2.5 in case you need to shoot wide or got yourself into a tight environment.
    After the trip u can decide whether to sell away.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    A lens isn't must-have just because it's technically brilliant. You need to seriously think about what shots you want to take, and what are the basic elements you need from a lens. If you don't usually shoot wide angle, even when you HAD a wide lens, why would you suddenly start now?

Again with the zoom -- if it's not a lens you want, why are you considering it? What do you expect to be doing with it?

• Like Like x 1
  4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah I think its more important to look at your shooting preferences than just to get a lens because of its performance . Furthermore I don't think the 12mm is really a must have. Nice build but the IQ isn't mind blowing for a prime.

• Like Like x 1
  5. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles

Good points. I just figured since I'm going on a vacation it'll be more convenient to have a zoom lens that's why I considered it this time. Also since there's a lot of nice scenery in Hawaii, thought a night wide angle lens would be good. It's been so long since I've had a vacation lol Then again, don't know when my next vacation will be and if I get the zoom or wide angle it'll just be sitting around.

BTW thanks for the input ya'll, I'm just going to wait till the camera gets here so I can test out the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 and see how that works out :)

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'd say go for the 25mm lens. The normal focal length lens is often underestimated, but even when I use a midrange zoom, I find myself zooming to that area of the lens very often.

For your trip, don't take any other lens than the 135mm. The other lenses all don't give you enough of anything new over your 45mm. sin77's recommendation to get a 14mm as well is a good idea. They are cheap right now through Asia:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f38/really-cheap-14mm-lenses-ebay-22113/
    Plus, the 14mm goes along with the 25mm pretty well for storage:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f38/pl-25-hood-stowage-cunning-plan-23688/

• Like Like x 1
  7. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Yeah I think most likely I'm going to get the 25mm lens. On my old SRT101 I mainly use the 50mm f1.4 lens. After a bit of looking around, I think for the price of the 12mm, I can get the 25mm plus the 14-45mm lens :D I'm just going to do a bit more research on the 14-45 to see if it's better than the 14-42 that came with the G3. I actually used that lens quite a bit when I had the G3 it felt cheap and the zoom isn't that smooth.

8. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Keep us update. I'm curious about 14-45 and 14-42x.

9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I don't usually shoot wide angle. In fact I shot it so seldomly I sold off my 14mm pancake.

I just returned from a 6 day trip to Japan. A lot of my shots were wide-angle. In fact, I wished I was able to shoot wider than 14mm in a lot of cases. For touristy trips with nice scenery, I think you will want to shoot wide, at least some of the time.

The 25mm + 14-42/45 is an excellent combo. You can use the prime when you want shallow DoF or are shooting at night. The zoom for daytime and when you want that scenic shot. This gives you a lot of flexibility.

For my trip I used the ZD 4/3 14-54mm MkII and on the second body used the 20mm. I would switch to the 25mm when the situation warranted. While I brought along the Oly 45mm, I never used it.

10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    The 14-45 is quite highly regarded, and rightly so. It's a good upgrade from the kit lens, and if you don't have a zoom covering that length, it might be worth grabbing. It's one of my favourite vacation lenses (along with the 9-18).

11. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Yeah I'll grab a used 14-45, it doesn't look that expensive either. I've read some reviews and this looks like a better lens than the 14-42 that I used with the G3 and looks to be quite sharp throughout the range too. So yeah, this and the 25mm should do it, I got plenty of time so I'll see if I can find some good deals :D

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    If you're buying the E-m5, why not get the weather sealed kit? 12mm on the wide end is nice, sure it is a bit slow, but you've already got the 45mm for speed. Then for rain and the beach you've got the e-m5 and sealed lens - good protection from the elements. For the cost savings (over the 25mm or 45mm) you could add the panny 20mm, or the 14mm for some additional speed (heck, maybe both of them if you can find good used prices - $300-320 for the 20mm and $170 on ebay for the 14mm).

If you were going to shell out $700 for the 12mm, you'll get the 12-50 ($300), 20mm ($320) and 14mm ($170) for less than $100 more.

13. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Weather sealing isn't a big deal to me, I never had any problem with any of my cameras when using at the beach or in very very light rain. But actually I think the D7000 I had is weather sealed, don't remember, but the lenses I used weren't haha

I actually have the 20mm but I can't find it, damn that tiny lens. I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in my home or in storage =/ I used the 20 on the G3 and E-P3 and GF1 :D I'm going to try to find it this weekend. But yeah I think I'm pretty sure on the 14-45, found one for $100'ish selling locally, waiting for their reply so we'll see how that goes.

14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    That's logical. Travel photos often must be taken without having the benefit of moving closer or far away from a subject. In Hawaii you probably won't be with a group, but changing lenses while the group is walking is also difficult.

Amen! This important point is too often ignored in the ubiquitous "What is the best ... ?' threads here.

For interiors, IMHO wide angle equivalent to 24mm or wider is required. Probably not a lot of interiors to be shot in Hawaii however.

For birds and wildlife, a long telephoto is needed. I would say ~300mm equivalent is needed and 600mm is even better. Again, Hawaii is not a wildlife place but certainly it is a bird place.

So ... consider that key question. The 14-45mm is kind "middle ground," neither good for interiors or for chasing birds. But for landscapes/seascapes, street photography, recording luaus, the ubiquitous hula and the inevitable drinks in coconuts, etc. it may be just the ticket. Its relative compactness is a plus.

(Speaking of compactness, though, you can get the old Oly 14-42mm for $50-75. Helluva deal for zoom flexibility and extreme compactness. At that price it's practically a throwaway.)

For reference, my tourist kit is the 9-18, the 14-140, and for special trips add the 100-300. No primes.