Birmingham, AL : Sloss Furnaces

Went to Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark earlier today.

Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark - Birmingham, Alabama

Opened in 1882 and operated through 1970. None of the original buildings are there, but there are still two 400-ton blast furnaces, surrounded by an assortment of other buildings and structures. It was fascinating to see how this process worked, and I can only imagine the conditions the men that worked there endured.
Lots of images on this one ( if it's too many, I apologize. Let me know and I will delete some.)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
Feels eerie in a way even with the nice light. I like the porthole shot best but nice compositions on much of it. The set transmits some of the history and decay nicely.

Real Name
Steve
Enjoyable scrolling through these shots. When I was 21 and had just finished my electrical apprenticeship I got a job as a maintenance electrician in a smelting works, I've worked on ancient switchgear like this as it was still operational in the late sixties.

Enjoyable scrolling through these shots. When I was 21 and had just finished my electrical apprenticeship I got a job as a maintenance electrician in a smelting works, I've worked on ancient switchgear like this as it was still operational in the late sixties.
That switchboard was a sight to behold. Someone was actuating one of the handles (I was surprised that they let people touch any of the moveable stuff) and I could hear something clunking one floor down. It was a Rube Goldberg scenario for sure, except I never did see where the thing was that was moving.

Nice set of photos. I love the immense scale being shown. There is also something very sensual about the old manual controls.
Thanks.
These controls were impressive. No stamped steel or plastic knobs there. Just a different era and class of manufacturing for sure.

Sam0912

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Sam Roberts
I’m another electrician who cut his teeth in industrial factories, in my case mostly GEC sites (before they got bought by Alstom). I love places like this, really takes me back.

Thanks for sharing, even though it may eventually cost me money (I’ve been eyeing that PL 8-18!)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom