1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Birds ~ EM5 MKII & Sigma 50-500 using Image Stabilization

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by SteveNunez, Apr 18, 2015.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Loving the EM5's in-body IS......no tripod necessary!
    These were taken at a south Florida Wetland in Delray Beach using the MKIi and a Minolta mount Bigma 50-500- manual focus......just about every shot was tack sharp- Oly's IS rocks!
    (My E-M10 is just about equally capable- but these were all MK II shots!) P4120714. P4120468. P4120514. P4120304. P4120316. P4120678. P4120221. P4120579. P4120711. P4120735.

• Like Like x 15
  2. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
  3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I guess the IS did well, but so did your effort with manual focus too. A lovely series of these birds. :2thumbs:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Thank you- with focus peaking and magnification, MF is quite easy- but to be honest the viewfinder was clear enough to get good focus without aids........the same can be said for the E-M10's VF.

5. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Great shots! Your skill level with a manual focus lens is definitely top notch.

6. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Thank you, it's really not hard as these birds are fairly static, anyone could have shot these.....birds in flight are super difficult!

7. Richmicro43

Richmicro43 New to Mu-43

Apr 19, 2015
    Rich

8. Richmicro43

Richmicro43 New to Mu-43

Apr 19, 2015
    Rich
    Steve:
    Just wondering which lens adapter you are using and its features, etc
    Thanks,
    Rich

9. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    You have stripped the EXIF info so we can't tell if the exposure time was slow enough to rely on IS anyway.

10. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    The lens adapter was a cheap eBay unit that allows using Minolta AF lenses on m4/3 bodies.....of course without AF, full manual.....it does however have a ring you can rotate to close/open the aperture.
    As for the Exif being stripped, I use an app called Lossless Photo Squeezer which really reduces file size without perceptible quality loss and it strips the Exif info.

11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    So tell us about the shutter speeds please

12. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I have no idea on shutter speeds, the camera selected shutter speeds based on metering and even low speeds resulted in sharp photos due to the image stabilization.....this is the aspect of IS I'm most impressed with....hand holding and no tripod still yielded sharp photos due to IS.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It would be useful to the rest of us if you can look up the EXIF details of your original photos so we know how low the shutter speeds were & at what ISO too. Were you using Aperture Priority (although you were manually selecting that on the lens), Program or iAuto?

14. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I've decided to get rid of the MK II and stick with the E-M10 as the image quality is identical and the IBIS has been equally effective despite only being 3 axis- but my results have been the same........at nearly 2X the price I couldn't justify the MK II from a price-point perspective- but those who own it and love it- I understand the amazement- an amazing camera.
    I plan on revisiting this same wetland with my E-M10 and GM1 and shoot again- I'll post the pictures with EXIF soon.

15. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    OR the E-P5 with VF4 attached. I love mine gives me a larger picture than my DSLR. I imagine the MKII has the same sized EVF I haven't done much research on it.

Great pictures btw I haven't had much luck with telephoto legacy lenses.