Bike Packing Denali NP on the Cheap

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
I will be bike packing the park road in Denali National Park from 6-11 May, which is before the summer season starts and before the busses start running. The plan is to ride the entire park road out/back for a total of 185 miles and 14,000 feet of elevation gain. This is one of those trips where I really want to have all my good lenses with me while at the same time being a trip where weight is going to major concern. I will need a way to charge the electronic devices I am bringing (Garmin Edge 530, Garmin InReach Mini, Garmin Vivoactive 4, iPhone 12 Pro Max) as well as my camera batteries.

To keep my electronics powered on the trip I will be using a Goal Zero Sherpa 100AC combined with the Goal Zero Nomad 20. I am pretty sure that the Sherpa will have enough juice for my trip but I want to be sure so I picked up the Nomad to help keep the Sherpa topped off. With 18 hours of daylight the Nomad should have no problem fully charging the Sherpa, even on an overcast day. The problem is both of the units weigh about 2lbs, so I am starting at 4lbs of weight before packing any camera gear.

11.4 lbs - The gear I want to bring: EM1X, 300/4, 150/2, 14-54, 7.5
7.3 lbs - Dropping the 150/2
4 lbs - The gear I am bringing: EM1X, 75-300, 12-50, 7.5

I could actually drop another pound of weight by swapping the X for my EM1 or EM5, but the extra abilities of the X make it worth bringing. One of the reasons I love shooting Olympus is how I can go from over 11 lbs of gear to only 4 lbs while still covering basically the same focal range (actually gaining focal range with the lighter setup).

I switched to Olympus from Canon to drop weight and even with me using the largest Olympus body and the larger lenses I am still significantly lighter than when I was shooting Canon. As everyone knows I am super anal about image quality and it is why I use the lenses I do. But even the lighter weight of my gear isn't light enough for extended backcountry trips, especially when I need to keep up with someone not carrying the extra weight. So my only options are to really suffer and bring my good lenses or switch to lighter lenses and lower my image quality.

This is going to be my first major trip of the year as well as a huge test for my upcoming trips. The first test is going to be if I can take lesser quality lenses and come back from an epic trip with photographs that I am satisfied with. I pretty confident that the 7.5 and 12-50 will provide me with images that I am satisfied with when it comes to landscape photographs, especially when using HHHR. Where I really question my choice is when it comes to the 75-300. I have tested this lens multiple times against my 300/4 (as well as my 50-200) and I know it isn't up to the same abilities. But I also know that when used within its limits the lens can perform well. The only way to really know is to make a trip like this and see what the outcome is.

The second test will be that of the Sherpa and Nomad. I have charged camera batteries using the Sherpa via the AC output as well as the DC output. I have taken the Sherpa and Nomad out in the yard and tested the recharge side of the two. So I have an idea of how they perform and can make educated guesses as to how they will work in the field. But it is going to take a multi-day trip to really see how all of it works together in the field. I will be keeping notes on battery levels during the day as well as before/after charging different devices. After this trip I should have a good idea of the capability of the two units and will help with planning my trips going forward.

Phocal

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
As I prep for this trip I will add to this the thread. Next up will be the packing of my trailer to see what I can fit into it, which will determine how much I have to carry on the bike.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
A quick update...........

First photo is the cockpit area. The handlebar bag is a REI Link Handlebar Bag and will hold my EM1X with 75-300 attached for quick access for those bears on the side of the road. Will also throw some other stuff I may need while riding into it. The top tube bag is the REI Junction Top Tube Bag will be for my phone and any snacks that don't fit into my feed bag. May end up losing the top tube bag as I don't think I will need the additional room. The other two bags are Revelate Mountain Feedbags with one for my bear spray and the other for my riding snacks.

Second photo is the Revelate Jerrycan and will contain my MSR Trail Shot for easy access while riding.

Third photo is an Ortlieb Fork-Pack and contains all my bike repair items I will be bring, except the spare spokes that will be in the trailer.

Fourth photo (which shows I really need to dust) is the trailer I will be pulling. The trailer is probably 30 years old and has been on a ton of adventures over the years.

Attachments

• IMG_4284.jpg
    IMG_4284.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4285.jpg
    IMG_4285.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4286.jpg
    IMG_4286.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4287.jpg
    IMG_4287.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 50

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
...The handlebar bag is a REI Link Handlebar Bag and will hold my EM1X with 75-300 attached for quick access for those bears on the side of the road. ... The other two bags are Revelate Mountain Feedbags with one for my bear spray and the other for my riding snacks...
If I ever see a brown bear while riding a bike I'll need a change of underwear, an Uber, and a nice sedative.

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
Have a sensational time and may all your days there be like this
15250708.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Finally decided on a method for mounting the Nomad 20 on my trailer. Since my 2nd/backup sleeping pad (NEMO Switchback) is bulky I figured I would put it to good use as a shock absorber for the solar panel. Initially I was trying to mount it using shock cord but that plan failed. So I picked up some of the REI Packmod Accessory Straps and used the shock cord to keep the pad from sliding out. Now I just need to hit up a few stores in search of a rubber grommet of the correct size so I can pass the charging cable into the trailer. This will allow me to charge the Sherpa 100AC while riding during the day and keep the trailer watertight.

Attachments

• IMG_4295.jpg
    IMG_4295.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4296.jpg
    IMG_4296.jpg
    738.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4297.jpg
    IMG_4297.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 31

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Took the bike out for its first fully loaded test ride and everything went perfect. Forgot to put my flag on for the photo :-( I will say that on the climbs I really noticed the extra 40lbs I was hauling. There was a long section of my 20 mile ride where it was a 1-2% incline that also had a nice 10-15mph headwind, which really sucked with the load I was hauling but the return trip was very enjoyable with that wind pushing me along. Still have to drill the hole my solar panel cable to run through, will do that tomorrow.

IMG_4341.jpg

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
I also did the initial route planning for the trip, currently it is setup as an out and back. Once our backcountry permits are approved I will break it up to correspond to each days ride.

This is going to be one epic trip.

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 09.37.22.png

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
So it looks like riding the Denali National Park Road is not going to happen and we will fall back on plan B, which is to ride the Denali Highway. The entire Denali Highway would be a longer trip and more elevation gain but we don't have time to do the entire road. So we will be starting 30 miles in and turning around 20 miles from the end. This will also cut out the really hilly section after our turn around. The start/stop locations were chosen because they are campgrounds, which will give us a place to park the car while doing the trip as well as a nice campground (stayed there last year on my failed attempt to drive the highway) at the midway point.

So here is the profile of the out ride. So it should be a pretty mellow trip with only nine climbs and of those there are only two of note. The first is a 9% 1/2 mile climb and the second is only 5% average but 3 miles long. The return trip has 11 climbs but they are all really mellow and easy.

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 20.23.51.png

Here is my bike all loaded up and ready to go. I have switched to a different trailer and since it has more room I was able to get all my gear into the trailer.
IMG_4382.jpg

Here is the crazy about this trip.

Gear weight
10.60 Clothing
7.98 Sleep system
18.24 Food system
13.74 Backpack (basically camera gear)
4.82 Battery & solar panel
3.02 Boots
22.24 Trailer and bike tools/supplies
0.78 Henry

81.42 Total

I have looked at this and looked at it and I can't get rid of any weight. My cloths weighted more but I removed a few things. Problem is that the weather is going to be anywhere from 40-60 during the day with lows down to 32 with one night showing 29. The temps combined with everything from sunny to cloudy to rain to snow requires a wide range of clothing for on as well as off bike. It would cost me a lot of money to get my sleep system to anything lighter, well I could go lighter on the sleeping pad but I like being comfortable. I actually want to add more food and still need to add the bottle of whiskey. The 18lbs from the backpack and batter/solar panel are staying no matter what. My trips are about the photography and there is no way I am leaving that stuff at home. We will be hiking to get to some photo spots so I need my boots. I could ride in them but I really prefer my cycling shoes and it's pretty much assured that we will be in rain for at least 2 days (maybe 3), which means my boots would get soaked while riding. I could drop the trailer and switch to bags on the bike but I really hate that and do prefer a trailer. Finally is good old Henry who goes on all my adventures, can't leave him behind.

Will be heading out Tuesday morning............

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom