Bike jumps track

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've ridden & driven past here plenty of times, finally got around to stopping, & firing off a few shots. Had an absolute ball. All with my manual focus 10mm Laowa, at pretty close quarters. That's code for rolling around in the dirt, while the bikes flew over head :) Anyway, I was absolutely stoked with the results. I screwed up -a bit, forgot to switch to mechanical shutter. See what you think
P1077279.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1077221.jpg

P1077240.jpg
P1077442.jpg
P1077544.jpg
P1077694.jpg
P1077461.jpg
P1077556.jpg

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice photographs! If I was one of those riders I'd be really wanting a copy.

One technical point: That's a difficult exposure, bright sky in the background and dark bikes and clothing. You've got a lovely balance, with the faces all well exposed.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks peoples. I had an absolute ball shooting them. I was really pleasantly surprised myself at how well they turned out. Anyway, one more I processed
nak nak.jpg

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Nice photographs! If I was one of those riders I'd be really wanting a copy.

One technical point: That's a difficult exposure, bright sky in the background and dark bikes and clothing. You've got a lovely balance, with the faces all well exposed.
Ha ha. Yeah, I've loaded them up on Flickr and sent them a link so that they can download whichever ones they please.
Also, about the exposure balance, I let the highlights in the sky blow out a little bit, there's not really any detail there to see in the blue and white, then just brushed on a little bit of a brightening mask over their faces. Nothing tricky or time consuming, just a little dab with a brush mask. If you zoomed in 100% on the faces, you'd see a little bit of noise, but I take pictures to be viewed in context as a whole. Not as zoomed in postage stamp sized sections of technical details 😄 In saying that though, I think the latest 20MP 4/3 sensors have plenty of dynamic range. Sure, larger sensors will give you a stop or two more, but in really harsh lighting conditions, that's still not going to save you anyway. Cheers

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sure, larger sensors will give you a stop or two more, but in really harsh lighting conditions, that's still not going to save you anyway. Cheers
This is a perfect example of how old simple solutions are still worthy of keeping in mind, in this case the simple use of a flash. Especially when pointing upward the only thing the flash will do is highlight the rider and bike. You can even mount the flash remotely on the ground under the riders so you don't have to hold it on your camera. I think a flash on these shots would have really made them pop.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is a perfect example of how old simple solutions are still worthy of keeping in mind, in this case the simple use of a flash. Especially when pointing upward the only thing the flash will do is highlight the rider and bike. You can even mount the flash remotely on the ground under the riders so you don't have to hold it on your camera. I think a flash on these shots would have really made them pop.
Yeah, 100% correct there. That will be my next attempt, my flash is high speed sync capable, and it will also ensure that I switch over to mechanical shutter 🤣🤣

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
The Olympus M1 mkii and the fl900 can do a really cool multi strobe effect, of the subject moving through a single frame .
I wish I had a M1 mkii... 😎pics speedy.

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Veteran
Really nice set.
My picky point for next time (and it may not be fixable per se), is that car yours? The ford in the background.
I see that as a very distracting point of the images.

In saying that, first time shooting, awesome. :) ( you don't want to see mine >_< (mostly cos they are on a hdd somewhere far away :D))

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Really nice set.
My picky point for next time (and it may not be fixable per se), is that car yours? The ford in the background.
I see that as a very distracting point of the images.

In saying that, first time shooting, awesome. :) ( you don't want to see mine >_< (mostly cos they are on a hdd somewhere far away :D))
Ha ha. Wifes car actually. I didn't head down there to make first class images to be honest, it was more just an experiment trying out different angles & technique for a proper attempt at a later date, I was just pretty surprised at how good they turned out :) Now that I've got the linear focus update installed on the PL8-18 I'll head down with that, & give it a try at some point. Also waiting on a bit faster SD card, although the waiting for the images to write was once again my fault. Inadvertently using super high burst speed with E shutter.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom