1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Bigma on E-M1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RenaudVL, Jan 9, 2015.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Hello,

Anyone uses a Bigma (50-500mm) on there E-M1?
    How does the focus perform?

Thanks

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Manually; it doesn't come in ยต4/3 or 4/3 mount.

3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Sigma did make an Oly mount version. I've never used it but I assume since it will AF on the e30 etc it should AF on the E-M1.

4. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Thanks guys,

Yes, it will auto focus, with the olympus mount and the MMF adapter, that I know for sure.
    I am look for information about focussing speed and sharpness.

5. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I've heard that it works okay on the EM1 but that AF performance isn't as good as other lenses, especially the native mount lenses, but I haven't used it myself. If you google you should be able to finish some user impressions on DPR.

6. Benjamin

Benjamin New to Mu-43

Jan 11, 2015
    I have the Sigma 50-500mm with the 4/3 mount, along with the Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter.

The EM-1 will control the Autofocus as well as the aperture just like my micro 4/3 lenses. After the EM-1's 2.0 firmware upgrade it did seem to focus faster, but it's not what I'd call fast. I have shot some Eagles when I was in Alaska and it was not very satisfying. I think if it can't find focus quick it cycles to close focus then back to infinity. This takes some time, and if the sky or other featureless frame is in the view, it'll just repeat and quit.

For slower moving stuff, it's very nice and it's the best thing I've seen in the 300mm + with auto-focus. For faster stuff I've learned to use focus peaking and pre-focus on something in the ballpark distance wise. Wish I'd learned that before the Alaska trip...

I've used it with my e-PM2 as well, mostly for static time-laspe sequences. It'll focus, slowly.

I've attached a Macro (ish) shot and a moon pic. Both are not cropped, just processed in Lightroom and exported as a .jpeg

-Ben

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I used it also but af on e-m1 is fast compared to gx7/e-m5, but not fast as native lenses. I think some of it comes from the lens. Sigma upgraded the lens for Canikon mounts, but 43 lens is the older one. I liked it but I am not using lately after our move... I didn't post any w/ em1 but these were with gx7 and e-m5:

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

• Like Like x 1