Biggest change in moving to Micro 4/3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Chasmodai, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Chasmodai

Chasmodai Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    I used to shoot with a faily substantial Canon DSLR kit, as I documented in my first post here (, and now have a few months under my belt shooting almost exclusively with my M4/3 setup. Technical issues aside, I've found one major difference between the two setups.

People no longer get out of my way

I know that may sound minor, but I never realized how much people paid attention to the guy with the big white lens on his camera, in terms of giving me space to shoot. Show up at an event with a 300 2.8L IS (or even the 70-200 2.8L) on your camera body and people just seemed to make room. I shoot a lot of military re-enactments for friends and people always just assumed I was a pro hired by the various units to shoot their activities (which was, in some cases, an accurate presumption). I shot a small event last week and no one went out of their way to avoid walking thru my pictures, as they would have in the past.

I know it sounds a bit silly, but it is going to change the way I shoot some of these things.

On the plus side, it's a lot easier carrying around the entire M43 rig than just a small selection of equipment for a day with my previous stuff. Which is an advantage that almost outweighs the downside of having to stop and ask people not to stand in front of me when I'm trying to get a shot. And I no longer have to answer lots of silly questions about gear, generally of the "what do you mean that doesn't zoom. My P&S has a 10x zoom and it fits in my pocket!" variety.

Not a serious rant, but I find the change in behavior of people interesting
  2. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Yes, my 70-200 2.8 always produced funny comments to me. Like, I bet you can take a picture of something a mile away with a lens that big. And people did tend to give me my space. But since I really like candid photos at events, having the small gear is actually an advantage at times because it does draw less attention.
  3. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

How I miss my 100-400L... I've had the odd "bazooka" comment for that one...

4. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Well, I sold my E30 and THAT feels weird. But since no one wanted my E500, I don't have to go completely without that comforting "Kazinka-flop" sound. And to tell the truth, I always secretly liked the photos from the E500 better than the ones from the E30.