1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

bigger grip for G3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Luke, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Does anyone make an aftermarket grip for the G3.....something more like the G1 and G2?

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Luke, I'm eager to see whether such a thing exists. I really prefer the straight grip of the earlier G series and GF1 to the curved/molded grip of the G3 and other recent models. Fortunately, the E-PL2 and E-P3 are so equipped.

3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Perhaps look for a half case with a built in grip?

4. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Still waiting on a black half case without the buttons!

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    As a G3 is on it's way to my house for testing, I do want to ask: isn't a g3 + G1 grip a GH1 (or GH2)? I realize there's a price difference, but if that's the desired grip, why not just roll with the extra cost for a GH body, and also get the (still better) sensor, and other upside of a GH series. At least, that's what I'm going to be asking myself once I get the G3.

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    The G3 and GH1 do not have the same sensor. The G3 is the newest sensor and processing engine of all the Panasonics (excluding the not yet released GX).

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    So the g3 has a better sensor than GH2? I didn't realize that.

But the g3 still isn't multi aspect, is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Well, I said newest....not best. :wink: They are both excellent, but different. Not sure about the multi-aspect bit.

9. Photinus

Photinus New to Mu-43

Jun 22, 2011
    Boston, MA
    You could always make your own grip. The G3 looks a little more difficult but here is a photo of my old Canon G9 with a cherry grip I fabricated out of a piece of scrap wood. It is mounted with some exterior grade 3M double stick foam tape.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  10. j.SoundLabs

j.SoundLabs Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Jason
    That looks great Photinus, I've been wanting to do this for my GF1 for a long time now, just gotta do it I guess.

11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Fwiw, I haven't seen a big difference in IQ between the GH1 and GH2 in terms of stills. I'd image that the G3 will fall in the same part of the ballpark, so unless you IQ needs trump all other considerations, I'd suggest choosing based on other criteria

12. The GH1, despite being 12mp, doesn't have the same 12mp sensor that some love to hate. I believe the difference between the two mostly manifests itself at higher ISOs which I rarely use anyway. I think that it also generates some of the higher test lab results out of all the m4/3 cameras, although whether it actually takes better images than say, a 12mp Olympus is most likely more dependant on what you're pointing it at.

13. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    "The G3 is the world’s smallest and lightest interchangeable lens camera with a built-in viewfinder. It is a notable engineering achievement how Panasonic managed to incorporate a large fully articulated touch screen LCD and an electronic viewfinder into such a small camera body. Not only small, the G3 also offers a larger-than-usual 16 MP sensor and blazing fast focus in 0.1 second".

Not my words from...BEST MICRO FOUR THIRDS | Digital Imaging

And then you want to go and stick a hulking great grip on it :rofl:

Why not buy the correct camera with the right sized grip in the first place ie a DSLR.

:43: is to me all about size/weight, or the lack of it.

Luv my G3.

D in W

14. The space between the body and the furtherest projection of the thinnest pancake lens is dead space. Removing bulk from this area doesn't noticably reduce the size or improve the portability of the camera.

15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I don't care for tiny cameras. I find them hard to hold. I do however like smaller lenses and that's why I bought into the system. I like the G3 because of it's price relative to the GH2. I was just curious if there is a larger aftermarket grip available. I guess not.

16. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    There have been/are MFT cameras with a full-height grip in both the Panasonic and Olympus lines. Regrettably for some of us, the G3 with its contoured partial grip isn't one of them. So one doesn't need to go to a DSLR - a mere E-P3 will do! :)

17. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    a removable grip for the G3 might be a cool accessory - something to add for those that want a larger grip and/or when using longer lenses. Who wants to start a Kickstarter?

18. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It's not all about you, D. Maybe, if you try hard, you can understand other people have different desires and needs than you do. Many of us feel a larger grip makes the camera easier to hold and use, but still don't want something as big as a DSLR. A G3 with a grip would still be very small and light, but even easier to hold and use than it is currently, especially with the larger Panasonic lenses. There's even an aftermarket grip available for the tiny Olympus EPMini.

Oh, and some of us are capable of making up our own minds, rather than relying on a web site to do it for us.

• Like Like x 1