Big Zoom!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by zpierce, Oct 14, 2010.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Hey gang,

I have an urge to pick up a super telephoto for my g1. I won't use it very often, just for fun now and again. I could go prime or zoom but I'd like 300+mm. I also want something cheap because this is just for fun, not going to get enough use to, for example, drop $600 on the new panasonic. I was thinking more like $100 on ebay :) Anyone have any suggestions? I have Canon FD and Minolta MD/MC adapters so that's my preference, but I'd be open to buying another adapter if need be.

On a related note, are those telephoto adapters worth anything? I have the 45-200 Panny lens, are there any of those telephoto adapters available that yield decent results that I could attach to that lens?

Thanks!

Zach Pierce
    Photostream
    Panasonic G1
    Lumix 14-45mm, 20mm, 45-200mm
    Vivitar 55mm f2.8 Macro
    Minolta MD 50mm f1.4

2. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    eBay has many catadioptric telephoto lenses (the ones with mirrors in them) at inexpensive prices. They're light in weight, too. You can find them for ยต4/3 by way of an adapter to their native M mount, an adapter which will also let you attach your camera to microscopes, telescopes and other assorted optical thingummies. Contrast can be low, going by images posted on line, the bokeh is doughnut shaped and the aperture is fixed, but they do look like an awful lot of fun.

I don't have one, but it's on my "I want" list.

3. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Now that sounds interesting, what would I search for? Is there a specific name or brand? I tried catadioptric but only got a small handful of spendy ones.

4. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Just gave mirror lens a quick try on eBay. There are quite a few results, mixed in with the reflective sunglasses.

mirror telephoto is a cleaner search.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I would not touch the telephoto adapters with the proverbial 10 foot poll (3m poll for everybody else outside of the US).

I have seen some good prices on some 300mm Canon and Minolta lenses on eBay recently - I was shopping and picked p a Nikon 300/4.5 myself for wildlife. The good 400mm and up lenses go up considerably in price (except for the cheap presets).

I also own an inexpensive Quantaray 300/5.6 mirror lens which is, as described by Brian, has low contrast and funny bokeh. (next to the Nikon for comparison)

[​IMG] 1039285023_jD23Z-M-2.

Here is one that shows the doughnut bokeh in full force.

1007944217_CUPQC-M.

And a duck shot on the lake unprocessed.

1007966992_gQEad-M.

• Like Like x 2
  6. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Wow, that's cool, really compact. It's funny, just the other day when thinking about telephoto lenses, I remembered back to a Nova special on telescopes where they talked about how glass lens based telescopes had too much CA after a certain length and I remember wondering to myself if you could get a camera lens made like a mirror based telescope, and here it is! Thanks for the photos and info.

7. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I have an 15 year old 500mm f/8 (Quantaray, similar to this one, I believe, but I will check later) that I got for my old Minolta film SLR. When I get my MC/MD->:43: adapter from Amazon (Monday, I hope), I'll put it on and see how it works.

8. peripatew

peripatew Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    I plan on getting the Minolta "Beercan" 70-210 f/4 when I get my GH2. I've read good reviews, and they can be found starting at $40.

It will get you to 420mm.

9. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
  10. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

I have a Sigma 600mm f8 catadioptric which when mounted all you see is a huge lens with a tiny camera on the end. Also, it's almost impossible to focus. Much handier is my Makinon 300mm f5.6 which at 62mm length, 67mm diameter and 265g weight is more in consonance with the m43 concept. It cost me 50 euros on a Spanish auction site.

[​IMG]

As you can see the adaptors (OM to 43/43 to m43) make it longer and heavier.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. I just bought a 300mm Pentax Takumar. Paid $200.00 Plus shipping. It is in mint condition.

Here is how my set-up looks like with an adaptor ring on my g1.

[​IMG]

Here is a cropped shot done on tripod behind a window. Just to show you clarity and detail. Shot at f/4 1/100 sec manual focus.

[​IMG]

The Nikor lenses are as good as this one as well. a friend has it, we compared. Stay away from mirror lenses.

12. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Looks like you are ready to shoot a few candids of the neighbors ...

13. stingOM

stingOM Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2010
    Ireland
    Tamron 500mm mirror lens is a good one to get:
    [ame="http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/stingOM/Misc/?action=view&current=IMG_5604a.jpg"]Misc :: IMG_5604a.jpg picture by stingOM - Photobucket[/ame]

[ame="http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/stingOM/Tamron%20500mm/?action=view&current=001.jpg"]Tamron 500mm :: 001.jpg picture by stingOM - Photobucket[/ame]

[ame="http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u161/stingOM/Tamron%20500mm/?action=view&current=Image00002.jpg"]Tamron 500mm :: Image00002.jpg picture by stingOM - Photobucket[/ame]

• Like Like x 1