1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Big trip at end of August, could use some tips from experienced travelers

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dav1dz, Mar 18, 2013.

1. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Hey guys,

Going to Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey then a bit of Austria and Switzerland at the end of the trip. I am away for 5 weeks total. We're packing moderately light but this isn't a backpacking trip either.

I've traveled some of these parts before but Greece and Turkey are completely new and alien. Any particular gear that I should bring along?

My plan so far: E-M5, 9-18, 17, 14-150, 25.

Is the 25 likely not being used too much? I've found in the past that European cities are fairly tightly squeezed for area so I thought perhaps having just the 17/1.8 as the prime for this trip? What do you guys think?

Other gear: extra OEM battery, rubber on hood, Gorillapod, polarizing, variable ND, graduated ND filters, clip-on flash.

I think I can make do without hood. Shield the sun with my free hand or use a polarizer?

Do I need both ND filters? I'm out during the day mostly so I thought there may be situations where I'd need at least one of these.

Size, weight and space is a big concern. So if there is anything in this kit that I don't need to bring, I would prefer not to.

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I think the 9-18 and the 25 is all you need. The 17 is redundant when you already have the 9-18. The 25 is better for portraits. I would leave the long zoom at home.

3. Is it that much of a burden to bring all four lenses (inc the PL25 hood)? I've never come back from a trip wishing that I had brought less equipment (I'd be embarrassed to list what I plan to take on my next trip...).

Is the purpose of spending money on camera equipment not to take it somewhere worthy of photographing???

4. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    When I went to Ireland and Scotland, the only lenses I took were my Rokinon 7.5mm, the 14-42(which hardly got used), and my 11-22 4/3 lens. Spent 2 weeks there and didn't feel the need for anything else.

You may want the 17 or 25 as a walk around lens, but I think the 9-18 would be good for that. Keep in mind that i shoot mostly on a tripod, so lens speed isn't important for me.

5. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    If it's a photography-oriented trip, meaning the main purpose of your trip is to photograph, then take everything you've got.

If your purpose is just enjoyment of the trip, then pack light with the 9-18 and 25. If you had a 40-150, I'd recommend that too... or just stick with the 14-150.

When I took the trip to London, I only brought the E-620, ZD11-22 and ZD50. I should have just stuck with the 14-54, but I don't regret bringing what I did.

My wife got there a couple weeks earlier and brought the E-PL1 w/14-42 and 40-150. That's what finally convinced me to move fully over to m.4/3.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    IMO, 17 and 9-18 is worlds different. Bokeh, background separation and good indoors are all hallmarks of the 17 (asssuming it's a 17/1.8?). The 9-18 is great for tripod or outdoors work.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'd be inclined to say you should take all 4 lenses. IMO, the 14-150 might be the odd duck out. It can be soft, and I'd prefer any of the other lenses you have on the wider range. That leaves carrying the 14-150 around for the long end. European cities are not a great place for a 150, though if you are hiking, that'd be a great place for that much reach.

I prefer the 17/1.8 for general shooting, but the PL25 is fantastic for street shooting. Throw on an ND filter and get some really great B&W, wide open on the city streets.

The nice thing about m43, these are all so small, I'd bring all 4, though maybe only carry two on any given trip from the hotel.

The 25 and 17 use the same filter size. I think the 9-18 and 14-150 use 58mm both? (the 17 and 25 use 46mm)

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Don't get so wrapped up in photography to cause you to miss out on some of the activities & enjoyment of just being there.....:smile:

9. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    It is a 17/1.8, yes.

You don't think I would miss having a telephoto zoom of some sort? Unfortunately and fortunately 14-150 is the only zoom lens I have. I think it'll be the most used lens since I don't really want to miss out on the vacation either.

My filters are all 58 mm threaded. I use step-up rings: 46-52 mm, 52-58 mm.

10. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I'm thinking that too. That's why I really want to carry the least amount of gear that will get me what I want.

11. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    It's one thing if I am going somewhere specifically for photography. But if it's just a normal family vacation and I'm using my camera to capture memories I find I can do what with just about anything. a 4x6 or 5x7 print or web page type images are very forgiving and you don't need a technically perfect image to relive those memories with family. Some of my favorite family photos are full of noise, slightly blurry, high ISO on an old 6MP Nikon, with a low quality cheap 24-120VR or 18-105VR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Sounds like a great kit. I do think it's nice to have a longer option that you have covered with 14-150 for architecture elements and things like that.
    You do have some duplication in the fast prime dept with the 17 and 25. If you think you will be using for architecture and landscape at night then take 17, if more people pics ( travel companion? :) ) then 25. 17 is so small though, why not both.

13. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Personally if I wanted to travel light, I'd just carry the 14-150 to cover all my bases, and then the 17 for low light. Unless you anticipate needing ultra-wide angle...

14. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I've been thinking about the 9-18 also.

I will run into situations where I'm inside a cathedral or looking at a cliff of houses up close. So I think the UWA will allow me to get in close and get that dramatic perspective. I don't foresee using it a lot, should I leave it at home?

Then the widest thing I'll have is 14. Which isn't bad. I've shot with a 18-200 for years and I was fine with the 27 mm wide.

15. thaiusmle

thaiusmle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2013
    I think your kit is good. You can mix and match for each day. Don't need to take everything everyday.

16. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    A lot depends on what/how you like to shoot, but I don't use long lenses much for that sort of traveling. Given the gear you have and desire not to be too burdened with stuff, I'd take the 9-18mm, the 17mm and buy a used 45mm for the trip.

17. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    A 45 will be used very little. I skip it even when I had it. I now have legacy 50s that supplant its focal lengths right now and I don't want to bother with manual focusing on a trip.

I don't foresee doing any real portraits on this trip. Environmental portraits with the 17 is probably the most I would do. I was thinking the 25 should come along, so perhaps I'll just bring it all and skimp on other accessories. Do you guys do a lot of portraits while you travel?

18. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    I was just in Greece and turkey last summer, I was using just the 7,5, 20, and 45. If you do one of the ferry rides in Istanbul or climb to the top of a tower, the extra reach of the 14-150 will probably be nice. You'll really want the 9-18 for all those sites that you can't step too far back from without getting a shot full of tourists, like the Hagia Sophia or the Parthenon. The 17 will be great for interiors, so that leaves the 25 out if you're looking to cut weight. then again, that 25 is a really nice lens.....

Here's some from Istanbul:
    Istanbul - a set on Flickr

And here's athens:
    Adam Bowers's Photos | Facebook

19. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    I don't use that FL for conventional portraits, but the wife and I like to check out local music spots when we travel and it ends up being useful for shots of the band/singer, or anything else of interest, in a typical bar/club setting. Usually not a lot of light, so a slow zoom won't do.

20. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I've learned that the travel pictures I look at (and cherish) the most are the ones with me/friends/family in them. Sure we all take hundreds of shots of scenery, but I just look at them a few times and never again.