1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Big Sur California

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by tecmo, Apr 26, 2012.

1. tecmo

tecmo New to Mu-43

Mar 18, 2012
    My first weekend with my e-PL2. Here is a picture of the ocean just north of Big Sur taken with the kit lens.

P4230266.JPG

• Like Like x 11
  2. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Great exposure well saturated colours , nice composition. But !

The horizon is well. sort of on a slope.
    Sorry it was the first thing i noticed:redface:

3. tecmo

tecmo New to Mu-43

Mar 18, 2012
    A little touch up required. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Did you fix it? Looks good to moi.

5. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011
    Re post please. Cheers :smile:

6. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011
    Think its something to do with the fact i'm looking at spirit levels most of the day. Long ones short ones lazer ones ! I'm quite level headed you see :smile:

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Or a bubble head (lol) ... when I grab the image the horizon line (sky and ocean) lines up pretty well with the bottom edge of my monitor. Its not like the ocean is running uphill or anything. Maybe my monitor isn't level. Next time you're in SoCal maybe you can toss a level on my monitor.

G

8. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011
    About 2 degrees out i reckon ! Great for water ski buffs

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    You put a smart level on the image?

10. downy_ball

downy_ball Mu-43 Regular

Disregard those naysayers.... it's a fine shot :thumbup:
    With regards to the alignment/level issue, I turn on a grid pattern in the viewfinder, and this helps a lot while shooting (if alignment is critical to the shot).

11. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    gotta go there one day

12. downy_ball

downy_ball Mu-43 Regular

If/when you do go, try to visit during the fall, or even early winter. The crowds are gone, and so is the fog, and the Autumn sun is its most spectacular along that part of the coast.
    :wink:

13. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011
    I did. I had to check that I was correct before I mentioned it . It is a really nice image though.

14. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The fog is what makes it so great half the time.

15. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Beautiful shot. I was just there a couple of weeks ago. Had a great time.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Big Sur is beautiful! Have you been down to the Big Sur beach? Go there during high tide, when the wave are crashing through the rock tunnels. There is a small park fee (like $5 or so) to enter, which you pay at the bottom of the winding path. You may not be able to see a sign from the highway though, as when the county puts one up one of the local townsfolk usually comes by with a chainsaw to cut it down. At least, that's what they used to do when I was last there many years ago. If you ask at the Tourism place on the highway they can give you directions as they are just down from the beach road... or else ask one of the locals. They are very warm, friendly people in Big Sur. That little town is high on my list of places to retire...

17. bluebubbleboy

bluebubbleboy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    Beautiful! Makes me want to go to the beach...but I'm stuck in my office. Oh well, I'll look at your photo and pretend I'm breathing in the salty air. :wink:

18. tecmo

tecmo New to Mu-43

Mar 18, 2012
    FYI: I made some corrections to the image after the first comment. Thanks for all the feedback - I took 200+ pictures this weekend and ended up with one good one :) Hopefully that ratio will change with more practice.

Big Sur is a very beautiful location (the entire Penisula has lots of good photo spots) and we had a very nice weekend (warm and sunny). Highly recommended.

tecmo

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    +1 ... just don't go to Pismo during Spring or Winter breaks ... full of college kids and party buses. One bus, full of females, requested that I show them my breasts.

G

20. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    Hey! What's wrong with college kids? And you totally could have started the first mu4/3 gone wild! :biggrin: