1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Big step (for me)...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by c_henry, Jun 14, 2012.

1. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    So, flew to Rome yesterday for a wedding, I'd packed my kit the night before. Had to use my big LowPro rucksack to hold my Canon gear along with my m43 kit.

Then yesterday morning decided to take a BIG step and for the first time in a decade (at least) leave the Canon kit at home. I had thought about just taking the m43 kit, but they've not hired a photographer and want the people attending to take all the pictures. I'm still more comfortable with my Canon gear so was taking that to be safe. But the sheer weight of it all, one body, three lenses, two flash guns, Pocket Wizards and spare batteries (which for a 1Ds MKII aren't light), made me decide to leave it all at home and give working with just the m43 kit a go.

It all fitted into a medium sized shoulder bag, non-photographic, along with my MacBook Air, iPad, Kindle and other essentials and still felt lighter than the rucksack with just the Canon gear!

So now I'm here with just my m43 kit, plus a 20mm I picked up at the airport, and am actually looking forward to having to really use it, without the 'safety net' of my Canon DSLR's.

Interesting times!

Colin

• Like Like x 8
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It is a big step, let us know how it works out. At least, you are not the sole photographer - which provides a bit of a safety net. In the end, though, good photographs are always about the photographer, not the gear. Have fun! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    What is in your m43 kit, other than the 20?

• Like Like x 1
  4. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    OM-D
    E-P1
    9-18mm
    12-50mm
    40-150mm

14mm
    20mm
    45mm

Colin

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Nice kit! :cool:

6. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    You're covered pretty well there! Should be fun!

• Like Like x 1
  7. MichaelJC

MichaelJC Mu-43 Regular

Great post. I hope you take time to enjoy the wedding, as well as taking some wonderful pics. Please share a few with us here when you get back :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. billgreen

billgreen Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 4, 2012
    Herradura de Rivas, Costa Rica
    Bill Green
    Good post Colin. I can relate as I went through a similar "transformation" last winter. My wife and I went to Costa Rica and I found the courage to leave my D7000 outfit at home. Took only my GF-1 (now a GX-1) and 4 lenses. I took an LX5 as an emergency back up. Returned with 500+ images and have no regrets. I don't feel like I missed a single shot because I didn't have the Nikon. This summer it's Ecuador and again, only the m43 equipment. I'm LOVIN' the reduced weight and bulk.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Took awhile but I finally got up the courage to sell my Canon 40D and gear. It helped me afford new lenses for my :43: kit. I have not regretted it once! :cool:

10. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    Thanks for all of he support, I'll definitely report back as to how it went and maybe even post some pictures if they're not horrific!

Colin

• Like Like x 1
  11. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    Right, I'm back from Rome. Overall a pretty good experience, lost some shots due to hitting the wrong buttons or dials and missed not having some flashguns with me (the wedding was outside at midday, so really harsh shadows). All I had was the FL-14(?) that I got with the E-P1.

I liked the fact that people didn’t notice me with the camera, I hated that people didn’t notice me with the camera!! People tend to get out of your way when you move in with a 1Ds & 70-200 f2.8

The size was great, the buttons not too bad once I became more familiar with them. But it was a bit of a learning curve, though only took a few days.

The 12-50 is a great lens, as is the 45mm. I used the 20mm a fair amount too as it was new and people regard it very highly.

The EVF took a little getting used to, but then when I realised it was showing me the ‘finished’ picture and I could see the effects of exposure compensation I thought it was fantastic. Something I’ll really miss when using OVF’s.

Summary

Things I liked:
    • IBIS - Wow!
    • EVF - Great for getting the exposure bang on.
    • High ISO -in conjunction with the IBIS got shots that would have been difficult with my Canon gear.
    • Size/weight - Didn't get the looks that I usually do with my Canon's, wasn't too heavy at all.
    • White balance - very impressive.
    • Battery life, took around 600 pictures on one battery, with about 5 mins of video. I did have a 2nd battery in the grip, but that was showing red the day before (it's a non-OEM battery and the charger that came with it was not the right one. The original Olympus battery was low at the end of the day, but was still going. I think Olympus say its good for 300 shots.
    • Picture sharpness - The pictures just seemed sharper, I've turned off in-camera sharpening, but they still looked sharper. It's now making me think my Canon lenses need some tweaking on my bodies.

Things I found tricky:
      • Manual focussing - not 100% sure how it works, I only tried to use it when I couldn't get it to focus on what I wanted, I then switched to manual focus, but the enlarged area was the 'wrong' area, couldn't figure out how to move it. I guess I just need to practice that. Focus peaking would be a great feature.
      • Mis-focussing - Very occasionally it would completely mis-focus but still take a picture, though I've not set release priority.
      • Wrong exposure - a couple of times it got the exposure completely wrong, though I suspect I might have hit Fn1 (AEL) which I've not yet set to another button. So it could well be me.
      So I’m now seriously considering selling my Canon kit, which is going to be difficult for me as I’m really attached to it (plus I bought the 100mm f2.8L IS Macro 6 just weeks ago).

I will post some pictures to this thread this weekend, probably not as many of the wedding pictures as I thought I might, as the lighting was horrifically harsh without some fill.

Colin

Interestingly, I let my wife (550D owner) use the OM-D for a little while, she loved it, so much so I've ordered her an OM-D (arriving tomorrow) and she's selling her Canon kit. She took the 550D to the wedding, but used my E-P1 when we had days out. Though I’m not sure I like her “If I get one I can use you lenses on it can’t I?” question when I said she should get the OM-D.

• Like Like x 2