Big HELLO from Perth (:

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by riri, Jan 7, 2011.

1. riri

riri Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2011
    Hi everyone

well i wrote like an essay about an introductory of myself and m4/3 system camera but i had to accidently pressed backspace which (somehow) returns my web browser to the previous opened site.. so yea i lost all my effort writing and now it feels like my excitement over joining this great comunity had all disappeard (and i am sleepy too) sigh..

well anyways HI MY NAME IS RIAN (ree-un) a lot of people tend to pronounce my name wrong e.g. ryan or rhien which pisses me off most of the time :) jks im cool with it. well im currently studying Fine Arts and Photography in an universty. roughly have about 6 months worth of photography experience and have been mainly using film cameras such as full manual SLR's some rangefinders and Lomo cameras. recently went on digital and tried the Olympus SP550-UZ an avarage superzoom compact camera, the only thing that i like is the provision of manual exposure, althougt slow (As it has no dial what so ever) and the image quility is.. well.. 'compact' no 'bokeh' unless on macro mode or end of telephoto.. well at least it made me crave a DSLR.. so i went on googling over thousands of camera website and discovered the micro 4/3 system! it's great it's compact and it has everything that i need.

i had trouble choosing between the E-P2 and the GF1. well i chose E-P2 at the end as it has more creative capabillity in comparison to the GF1. IBIS, multiple exposure and art filters have already sold me. i dont need fast AF as i will be using manual focus most of the time oh and the E-P2 is just aesthetically look and would feel far better than GF1 :)

so i ordered the silver one (i'm sick with looking at black cameras) with 17mm lens and FL-14 kit from b&h it was really cheap in comparison to local stores of other int stores but the silver one costs me $150 more ): oh well it's worth it oh and it is currently shipping and atm it is in singapore so should get to Perth pretty soon, can't waaaait for my first pro-digital camera!
    • Like Like x 3
  2. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    Welcome Riri (I am only new here myself).

I am curious as to what they teach you in a uni course. Do they try to address the technical side of things (and stay up to date) or is it mostly studying past masters?

P.S. watch out, Gerry Harvey will be after you :rofl:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riri

riri Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2011
    Hi Russel!

The course that i'm studying is more into creative/conceptual area which mean you get absolute freedom over your work with no distraction over technical stuff (well unless you do the design side of photography) so yea it is mostly studying the past masters (in my own personal view as other students based their work from many other perspectives). doing Art is by far the best choice of my 19 years of life, it opens my perspective of seeing in such a high degree. i would probably hang myself by this time if i did a different course like.. business..

and thank you for the warm welcome!

oh and it made me (madly) fall in love with photography.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Rian from a local. The E-P2 is a fine camera and miles ahead of the SP550 - only thing is now you'll want more lenses - tough on a student income.
  5. riri

riri Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2011
    that is true, atm my income is relatively low, i probably would have to get a second job.. but yea i have been thinking over and over about the lens, on the sp550uz i hardly ever (more like never) use the oh my god super 15x zoom.. i always use the wide end of the lens and that's why i picked the 17mm as it is brighter and compact. although i do want one of the panny's 20mm f1.7... and probably some legacy lens (which is relatively cheap) for telephoto. the 2x factor thing actually make zoom lenses a lot more convenient haha
  6. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    say hello to riri

[ Zurich, riri poster at cabaret voltaire | GF1 - pentax-m 28 1:2.8]
    • Like Like x 2
  7. riri

riri Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2011
    daww thank you for the lovely picture :)
  8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Rian, welcome to Mu43! You're very fortunate to be in your photo/arts program, and it sounds as though you're really enjoying it and going to make the most of it while you're there. I loved my similar days, now quite a few years ago.

Promise to keep us up-to-date on your E-P2's arrival. Looking forward to your pictures, soon, too!:biggrin:
  9. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hi and welcome from Holland !
  10. briandforever

briandforever Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2010
    Hi Perth, welcome, post some pictures after getting the ep2 :)
  11. riri

riri Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2011
    according to UPS the E-P2 will be delivered by tomorrow!
    can't waitttt and yes deffs will post pictures from the E-P2 as soon as i get it
    thank you all for the warm welcome :)
  12. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
  13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Welcome from California. Good luck with school. We are expecting all A's!

14. riri

riri Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2011
    Hello, it's been awhile since my last post.. i've been busy lately :p so haven't really got the chance to upload photos from my new e-p2!

<a href="" target="_blank">" border="0" alt=""></a>

<a href="" target="_blank">[img]" border="0" alt=""></a>

my first advanture with the e-p2, these are photos from an abandoned power house in perth. the place is amazing, you get such a strong and intimidating feel about the place, the whole building is filled with grafitti and it is located right next to a beach. we had an amazing time there, just exploring around, take photos, we climbed onto the roof top and enjoyed the view of the beach from up there :)

oh and the e-p2 is also amazing, it's light and the grainy filters is great! everyone thought that i used a film camera aha and yea they were all taken with the 17mm 2,8 as it is the only m43 lens that i have. i want to get the 20mm 1.7 but i'll have to save some money first -_-
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome from New England.

Nice to have you here!

Cheers, Alan