Big glass small camera

thegimprider

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Douglas Coulter
I don't dream of hand held shooting over 300mm and with my Oly zoom at 300 most hand held shots are wasted even with camera motion set on. Like Quigley Down Under making the shots he does in the movie off hand is pure Hollywood. Tripod or bean bag is a must. A bean bag is better than a tripod for vibration. Follow action requires a gimbal and big glass requires a BIG gimbal. They do this all the time in motion picture industry but that equipment costs as much as a house.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
in support of this ...
Ok, there is a reason more people do not use old manual focus telephoto lenses on their cameras.............it is not that easy.
the only times I've had good results with my FD300f4 was on birds which are perched or prefocused on a nest.

Depending on the distance the DoF of a 300mm @ f4 does allow a reasonable range of focus and as long as you prefocus on a similar distant object it can work. I've found it works better on air craft (which are at a distance where prefocus works with more error margin) than birds.

Having said that if your budget is such that its not a major component of your work then a manual focus lens can prove a cost effective imaging tool. Just expect to put some effort and learning technique in to that.

(which I'm sure @thegimprider you would do :- )

Klorenzo

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lorenzo
Follow action requires a gimbal and big glass requires a BIG gimbal. They do this all the time in motion picture industry but that equipment costs as much as a house.

I think this is not true. Following action does NOT require a gimbal and it is even hampered by a gimbal or any other kind of static support.
So why anybody uses it? To hold the weight and to reduce the vibrations. I'm not an expert but I bet that any BIF photographer would happily drop any gimbal/tripod/monopod any day if just they could. But up to the very recent years this was simply not possible. Bean bags and tripods are great but for different kind of animals.

In motion picture, for fast action shots, they use complex body mounted rigs to offload the weight on the shoulders or hips allowing maximum movement freedom (or some kind of dolly if the shot allows). But cinema is all scripted so you know exactly where the subjects are going to be.

Unless you plant to shoot near a mountain cliff where birds glide in a very predictable near static pattern any kind of static support, even a monopod, will constraint the movements you can make. And a fraction of degree of error or delay is enough to completely loose the target.
I usually loose the bird after I rotated my hips 90 degrees to one side and my rotation stiffens or get too slow. Or I move a foot and that is enough to shake the camera and loose the target, and the sky is all the same so you do not have any reference to reacquire it (shooting with both eyes open helps a little, or the Olympus ee-1 I suppose).
Consider that you want to shoot the birds when they are close, not just a small black dot in the frame. It is very easy to follow a distant bird, and very hard to follow one close enough to "fill" even 1/9 of the frame. And (usually) you want them facing you, front lit, not just the tail silhouette.

My advice: take your current lens, a 100-300 I think, go out and try to use it in manual focus. Do it in good day light. The "small" aperture won't make any difference and will even help. Try to take a few shots. A different lens won't make it any easier. A 1200mm equiv. lens would make it impossible. A gimbal will make it worse. Don't trust me, just try.

BAKatz

Mu-43 Veteran
image.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
300mm Minolta MD mount for <$20 on Amazon. OK it makes the EPL1 look even smaller than it is, but so far I like the results.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This topic deserves resurrection:
Big Lens Small Camera.jpg
Yes the autofocus works. That 50-100 spends most of its time on my E-M1II with grip, but I keep the E-M5 as a backup.

I recently acquired a Vivitar Series 1 200mm f/3 on ebay for under $100. I suggest checking ebay as they do become available at a decent price from time to time.

nstelemark

Originally E.V.I.L.
Real Name
Larry
E-PM1 with 12-35f2.8 and E-M1+grip with the 14-35f2.

p1016780-jpg.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom