1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Big glass small camera

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by thegimprider, Aug 30, 2016.

1. thegimprider

thegimprider Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    Looking at all the fine shots taken with big glass I have lusted after one for years. Every now and then I come across some quality big glass at a decent price but without the camera to use in on I've not taken the risk. The 400 to 600 range is what I'm looking for and Micro four thirds has not offered anything yet. Nice looking 300 2.8 is not yet available and I do plan on getting one when my VA pension kicks in. Manual focus on a gimbal mount is required for movement and a very fast lens is a must. Kowa spotting scope works for some stuff but is just too limited without aperture control.
    I've seen good Nikon or Cannon lenses gathering dust in old pawn shops with price tags under 2K that have excellent optics even though rough looking shells. My cheap 75-300 olympus 4/3rd lens is ok but I cannot follow movement with reliable results. The Panny 100-400 is tempting me but still not fast enough. Auto focus would help but I don't believe that is as important as lens speed. Birds in flight, animals on the run, city police/homeless chases would all be things I'd use it for. A Blackmagic Pocket and an Olympus PL-7 with eye piece adapter would be my main bodies. The Pen F is looking good but I'm waiting for something better to hit the shelves.
    Who else has this view and dream? What big glass do you like on M43?

2. Tom_Chan

Tom_Chan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    The closest thing is a four-thirds Olympus 300mm f/2.8 if you don't mind its size and price tag. I doubt if a micro four-thirds equivalent, if there is one, will be much smaller though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Sigma made a few big focal length lenses that came with 4/3rds mounts. The "Bigma" being the most popular one I believe. A 50-500mm zoom lens. Occasionally I see that one for sale so you can still find copies. Other models included the 135-400mm and the 300-800mm, but I don't recall ever seeing either of those two being offered up by anyone. None of them are particularly fast in aperture.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    I can recommend the 90-250 f/2.8 and you can add the 1.4x teleconverter to get the reach you need, it is big & heavy though and if you're planning manual focus, it's good because it has a very large focus throw, but this also limits your manual focus speed as it takes a while to go from one end to the other. (It is very well damped too, allowing for micro adjustments, but again, further limiting your MF speed)
    It doesn't focus well on CDAF bodies, so an em1 or em1 II would be required to effectively use the AF on this lens, optically it is great tho (altho i've personally found there's quite a big loss of contrast when shooting into the light (nothing that can't be adjusted in post tho))

5. thegimprider

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    There are lots of slow lenses out there and I can find one cheap. I did spot a Soviet 600mm f4 with Nikon mount for under 1K. A prime is going to be in my kit someday and etsy lists many under 2K that should work. That is an expensive experiment. I do plan on buying another Nikon FM body so I lean towards a Nikon mount lens.
    I expect many failed shots so film is not a good choice to learn how to follow with that big of a lens.

6. thegimprider

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    Adorama has a Nikon Ai 600mm f4 lens for under 1K right now. Note: you carry these lenses in a suitcase as they are huge. Not the kind of thing one goes on a hike with. It weighs in at over 11 lbs. and when first made was the lightest super tele in its range. I would like some tips from others who have done this. The showcase forum has some great photos with Cannon lenses made for digital cameras

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  7. thegimprider

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    Not even in the ball park at f9.5 I'm looking for f4 in a big prime lens

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What about an older Nikkor 300/f4 AF-S with a TC? The 1.4 has good optics and later 2.0's were OK.

--Ken

9. thegimprider

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    I do plan on the Olympus pro lens when I can afford it, much lighter and I believe better performing for M43 digital. I've seen the larger 43rd version and like it very much but doubt Olympus is going to be putting much effort into 43rd designs anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    If something like this is of interest shoot me a PM...

BigTam_0013.JPG BigTam_0017.JPG BigTam_0020.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  11. thegimprider

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    That Tamron looks like what I'm aiming at. What kind of price range?
    After reading all I can find I think I will settle on a Nikkor 300mm 2.8 as I do want the free moving collar at a much better price than the Olympus offers. 6k for the oly 2.8 when it does not have the capabilities of the Nikkor. I do already have a 4/3rd adapter but a Nikkor to M4/3rd is not expensive. Unless I can find a cheap 400 in really fast glass I think 600mm equivalent will meet all my needs. VA says a decision is coming soon.
    I will rent one soon before I make that 4K or more leap

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  12. thegimprider

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    Surprised at how many 300mm 2.8 Nikkors are out there under $1,000.00 dollars. Ken Rockwell warns to stay away from early version due to focus problems but says not many were sold so they are very rare. With a good gimbal around $400.00 and adapter I could be shooting with one under $2,000.00 and except for manual focus only I think it should out perform the Olympus 300mm f4 for moving targets. I'm amazed that more M4/3rd users have not tried this.

13. TonyG

TonyG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I think the shortcomings of the 75-300 in reality is due to the body not so much the lens itself.

14. thegimprider

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    It is a cheap zoom and its shortcomings are major. Price and reach are the only reason I bought it. I've gotten some great pictures with it but only mounted on a firm tripod. Until I bought the PL-7 it did not function on the PL-1 without lots of struggle. I cannot carry it around my neck without it extending due to gravity.
    I never expect much from any cheap zoom lens. 75-300 is a great range but any 300mm prime would beat the pants off it. Bicycle touring with 3 lenses is the only reason I bought it.

15. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Just watch this turn into "thats not big, I'll show you big"

so I'll start at the smaller end of big :)

The FD300f4 isn't big ... but on the small camera does look bigger
    3420064503_c3f407dae1_o.

Love the OM2 btw

• Like Like x 1
  16. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I assume that you're excluding the m43 Panasonic 100-400 on price.

I agree with the above comments that you'll be more satisfied with a fixed focal length tele in the range than you will be with a zoom; unless you spend bigger on one of the Oly 43rds lenses like phocal uses.

The 300f4 has been quite a good value for money package for me, and although I've tried a few I've kept that lens (and on sold others). I only paid $150 for it. Its been able to get me images I like that I wouldn't have gotten any other way and at a price that is a fair value condidering how often I use it

Myself I'm not sure that the step up to a 400 would make enough difference in terms of the trade off of price / weight / hassle

Samples:

5205228116_260568fd10_b.

3616394070_6c1917a263_o.

4321761336_9104a0cdd7_o.

17. thegimprider

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    If I was not so limited by funds I'd grab the big zoom but I think the only long zoom I'm willing to invest in would be the Pan 35-100 pro or the Oly 40-150 pro. Unless I find them really cheap I'm done spending money on extended range zoom lenses. For cycle touring tele extenders make much more sense. I keep watching a video shoot out between the Pan vs Oly pro zoom tele and have not decided which I will buy but most likely that will be my next big purchase. Meanwhile I'll rent some expensive lens for a few days at a time to see what I'm ready to spend 1K plus on. 100-400 might be worth renting to see if shortcomings bother me too much for $1700.+ when that Nikkor 300 2.8 is under 1K

18. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Just remember to factor the 2stops of loss in with them.

If still look carefully at the Pana 100-300, especially as you say cycle touring. Weight is a factor. Perhaps you could forgive it's zoom creep as a factor considering it's other strengths

19. thegimprider

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    The 100-300 is not a pro lens like the 100-400 but both are larger than I would carry on a long tour. That Pana 35-100 does look like a lens I would like to carry. 7-14 2.8 Oly pro 20mm 1.7 Pana and that 35-100 with a 2x would be easy to carry a few thousand miles. I've shipped gear home when it did not come out for use often enough on tour. A 200mm f4 prime could squeeze in if I expect lots of wildlife. I'd have to see what the Pana/Oly tele zooms perform as close-up bugs and flowers with the extender attached. The Oly 35-300 does well there from a tripod.