Big file help

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've never done much with video, but recently got roped in to shooting a 90 minute theatrical performance. Two camera shoot, fair amount of editing in Final Cut, leaving me with a file that is 90GB after I down-rezd it to 720P or thereabouts.

A few questions. Does that file size seem accurate? If so, is there some way to compress it, or whatever, to reduce size? Goal is YouTube viewing at this point. I tried to upload to OneDrive, but that has been a complete failure. I think I may be OK with YouTube, after numerous false starts. File finally uploaded, but now it's been in processing mode for a while. My home wi-fi is less than it should be for the task. Upload speed is only 15Mbps, and I know it drops out once in a while.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. I'm really curious what expectations should be for a 90 minute file, and if I'm just missing the boat somewhere. Is it all about upload speed? File management? Something else?

Thanks in advance. I may do a few more of these, and I'd really like to avoid death by failing video upload that I've been experiencing. :)

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
For 4K, 90GB is probably accurate. I recall computing that my G85 could only hold about 1.75 hours of 4K video on a 128GB card.

For 1080p, I find my G85 produces about 13-17 gigabytes in the camera (note, the G85 splits the 1080p files into 4GB chunks, so I have to recombine them afterwards).

I typically use the command line tool ffmpeg (under Linux, but I believe Windows/MAC versions are available) converting the 1080p videos to the libx265 format and it typically compresses the 13-17 gigabyte file to 3-5 gigabytes. Ffmpeg is sort of the swiss army chainsaw when it comes to video processing.

It sounds like you may need to investigate the output options to Final Cut.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks Michael. I was looking at Handbrake, to change the codec and reduce size, but I'm really clueless about this so figured I'd ask first. Do you see a big change in quality when going to libx265 format? I think I'm doing what I can in Final Cut to reduce resolution and size, but it does not seem right. I'll have to mess with that some more.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks Michael. I was looking at Handbrake, to change the codec and reduce size, but I'm really clueless about this so figured I'd ask first. Do you see a big change in quality when going to libx265 format? I think I'm doing what I can in Final Cut to reduce resolution and size, but it does not seem right. I'll have to mess with that some more.

I can't really tell. Note, when I was doing it, I was using a 1080p monitor and the video actually displayed in a smaller window. Also the video was shot at ISO 6400, so it wasn't the highest quality to begin with.

Real Name
Mike
Depending on expectations for quality and how complex the scene is...

For 720p a reasonable bitrate may be in the order of 2-8 Mbps I would say depending on content and standard h.264 with reasonable codec and settings. So at 90 minutes that is like 1350 MB to 5400 MB. So 90 GB seems rather steep. A file of 10 GB would be a lot and then it would be cut down a lot by YouTube compression.

You know, 4K (UHD) triple-layer BluRays reach 100 GB of capacity. I doubt you need that kind of bitrate for this use case.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom