1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Big disappointment, Olympus Capture and E-M10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RenaudVL, Jun 25, 2015.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Big disappointment,

Can't connect to the E-M10 with Olympus Capture...
    I am working on a project and this feature is essential...
    I need a software that will take a picture and download it automatically to the PC

Any other option???

Thanks

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    OI Share, with some additional hacks?

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Olympus Capture tethering is only available for the high tier E-M1 and E-M5 Mk2... I would say use O.I.Share to control camera, and use a Wi-Fi SD card to transfer files maybe?

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    If you know someone who can program just a little he/you can write a small script to do this:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/64821/

Or even using a "website mirror" program like this: https://www.httrack.com/

Both works only when wi-fi on the camera is active so you can do this "live tethering" only while shooting through OI Share. I mean, you can download the pictures even when OI Share is not running, but when wifi starts you can shoot only through OI share.

In the wi-fi options of the camera you need to enable "multiple connections" (otherwise OI share will steal the only one available).

5. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    there is a software around that I tried with my EM10. It is written by a German guy (my memory is fading on that though).
    I have it on an old laptop that I can have access to within a week, if you can't find the software.

I was able to trigger my camera over the computer and see the picture on the computer. I am not sure, if it was anything close to fast.

6. physicsdude

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
  7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Ol.share and save your photos up to Flickr, or iCloud, or OneDrive etc...and access them from your PC

8. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I think Eye-Fi (and similar) cards can do what you want.

I read a few years ago about a fashion or art-gallery show which took photos of models and the audience via Eye-Fi enabled cameras, sent them to a file-share; then the computer, where they were presumably curated/filtered, projected the images onto walls & screens in a good approximation of real-time.

You could either remote trigger the camera(s) or just leave it to the photographer.

Of course I may have completely mis-interpreted the use case, in which case feel free to ignore me.

9. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    I would also suggest an Eye-Fi card. I use it to automatically transfer to my Mac or to my iPad so it can get automatically edited and uploaded. Even better when you use an iPhone to trigger via OI Share which means that you can operate the camera via iPhone and have the photos sent directly and automatically to a computer or ipad. I would suggest only transferring the JPG however since transferring RAWs via Eye-Fi is painfully slow.

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

11. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions and options.
    Lots to evaluate and think about...

I can across this on DPReview
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54142614

Almost perfect, but does not transfer raw automatically...

12. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    I see some potential in this. Wouldn't tethering be a possibility? Maybe a more elaborate interface than the "OLY Wifi Download", which I probably find a bit too unpolished to be useful. Should be interesting to see where this leads, though. :)

13. physicsdude

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
  14. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    Tethering (remote capture) is working! :)

Here my E-M10 is sitting on my porch looking at the trees while Im sitting inside. Testing continues...

To sum it up, it's most useful for remote capturing (as expected), ORF transfer is really, really slow.

Thanks for the link/tip.

e-m10-tethering.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  15. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Not surprising as it is over USB 2. That is why I always move the card to an integrated card reader or to one connected via USB 3. If compact flash, also make sure it is UDMA 7 rated. If SD card, get one that is at least class 10.

16. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    Maybe I forgot to say that I was using it via WiFI?

17. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Probably slower than USB 2 if wifi had to do lots or retransmissions.

18. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    You're totally right, only thought to try the wifi, and it worked instantly with the trigger... kind of interesting. :)