1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Big diff. between VF2 and VF3?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twmangrove, Jul 2, 2012.

1. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    I am a PM1 user who, as of late, frequently shooting in sunlight, has come to recognize the value of a viewfinder.
    So I must ask - is the VF2 worth the $100-plus difference over the VF3? There's no way I can try these things out where I am and would be grateful for a bit of user feedback, preferably from someone who has tried both.
    I expect, ergonomically, that the F3 might be more suitable, and am leaning in that direction, but if the difference in image quality was literally night and day, then I could lean more towards the F2. But what do I know?

Thanks for your help.
    Note: I'd do a search here but find the search function a bit confusing.

2. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    You can get a used VF2 or in my case a refurb from Cameta for about $170 which is the price of a new VF3 Mine is staying on the camera and makes it much better to use.

• Like Like x 1
  3. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I'd say night and day really. I first got the VF2 - and was disappointed with the lack of colour and contrast (I wasn't expecting OLED or anything but it was rubbish!). I suspected it might be faulty so I returned it and got a VF3 instead. Bad mistake. For anything other than composing I thought it was way overpriced - when (here in the UK) the price difference isn't that great.

I ordered another VF2 and was much happier. The first one was clearly a poor "copy".

• Like Like x 1
  4. rwisem

rwisem Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Sequim, Washington, USA
    Roger Wiseman
    +1 on the used route. I got my VF-2 for $174, shipped. It is very useful.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi. I would disagree personally with the two viewfinders being night and day apart.
    The VF2 is clearly better in terms of resolution but the VF3 is perfectly useable. It also has the advantage of having a lock to secure it to the hotshoe although I have never had a problem with my VF2 slipping off - and also to my mind the viewfinder is better slipping off if it gets badly knocked compared to potentially being smashed if it is locked to the hotshoe.
    The VF3 is also a bit smaller and sits better on the smaller PENs although again I have used.a VF 2 on an EPL3 without particular issue re the size
    If the difference in price where you are is as great as you say I would consider the VF3 - you won't know he difference if you've never used a VF2 anyway. If the main reason you are considering a VF is because of use in bright sunshine and are only going to use it occasionally then again the saving might be worthwhile
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  6. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I'm not to worried about the difference in resolution, but the vf3 that I had for several weeks had smearing at the edges. Compared to my em-5's EVF, which is very similar to a VF2, it's a no contest. However, it is still much better than nothing. If you can get one for around $100-110, I'd actually recommend the vf3 just so you can try it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The VF3 is very slightly smaller, but I wouldn't consider it much of an ergonomic difference. The price difference is also pretty small - $180 for a refurbished VF-2 vs. $160 for a used VF-3. IMO the quality is well worth the extra $20.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

I don't really know the difference between the two but I have the VF3 for my Epl1 and it never comes of the camera.
    I like that it locks on the camera so I don't have to worry about it coming off.
    I bought it new for a $169.00 at Cameta because it comes with a warranty vs a used one.
    It really works well and is a great help when manual focusing and not ever tried the VF2 I don't know if I'm missing something or not.

• Like Like x 1
  9. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    I've seen a used VF3 going for $100 CDN but haven't bit yet because it's a local sale and I'm not local (but could make an offer). I've also put an ad in the buy and sell here to see if anyone who has picked up an OMD might be dumping a viewfinder.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    • Like Like x 1