Big changes at Flickr

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well, I just made another very interesting discovery. I've been using a combo of Google drive, & Google photo
Just be wary not to use Google Drive for anything else since you can't limit which images in Google Drive show up in Photos.

edit: to clarify, I meant show up in Photos for you. I actually use Drive and have screenshots/scans/random stuff for websites. I don't want all that showing up in Google Photos.

Last edited:

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just be wary not to use Google Drive for anything else since you can't limit which images in Google Drive show up in Photos.
Here, this photo is stored in Google drive, along with all my others, synced with Google photo, & shared from there, can you see or find any more of my photos from this? (that aren't in a shared folder)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Well, I just made another very interesting discovery. I've been using a combo of Google drive, & Google photo as an alternative base from which to share my shots. I think I may have mentioned, or posted previously in this thread, that over the years, I somehow seem to have collected about 115GB of free storage space in Google drive. Simply by creating accounts with various phones, & other offers.
So, what I have done, is download all my Flickr albums/photos to my hard drive, then uploaded them to Google drive. Because there is no compression at all going on, if you use Drive. I created the same folder names on Drive, uploaded to said folders, then allow sync with Google photos.
Now the really really cool bit. If you type the Google Drive folder name into the Google photo search bar, or even part thereof, low & behold, all the photos in the Drive folder pop up in Google photos. He he he he he. Fantastic. Zero effort required. No compression at all, & you can embed/share from Google photo with a simple right click. One happy camper.
Until some policy changes at Google and you're back in the same boat.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yes, but the free tier may not continue forever.
I'm not in the least bit concerned about that. Not in the slightest. I'm going to be saving what, near $100 a year, my entire Flickr collection is about 5GB, (I only store my edited jpegs there) how much is that ever going to cost me on Google Drive? I'd hazard a guess, somewhere between a pittance, & peanuts :)
Besides, it was the easiest thing in the world to do, simply create a folder list in Drive, then simply navigate to the saved Flickr folders on my HD, hit upload, & forget about it.
Could. Not. Be. Easier.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Here, this photo is stored in Google drive, along with all my others, synced with Google photo, & shared from there, can you see or find any more of my photos from this? (that aren't in a shared folder)
I clarified my statement. It was in relation to viewing your own photos in Google Photos.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
edit: to clarify, I meant show up in Photos for you. I actually use Drive and have screenshots/scans/random stuff for websites. I don't want all that showing up in Google Photos
Ahhh right. Now I get you. I've also got lots of random stuff showing up on Google photos, from my phone sync's etc, but if you group your shots into folders in Drive, by camera, or lens, or whatever, you can basically then use the search feature in Photo's as a filter, and eliminate all the random stuff.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
Dumb question. How are you getting it from Google Photos to here? My attempts are just large thumbnails and using the shared link is to an album, not the photo.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Don't know what's going on at flickr but I can't get into it at all. I tried to upload a photo on my pro site and it uploaded it to a dead account from yrs ago. I deleted the dead account in order to try again and now I can't get into my pro account. When I try to login it takes me to Yahoo which asks for an email which it then says is in use on my old account (which I deleted). It gives me an option of using another email which I have to change to in my "account" page but if I can't login, how the hell can I access my account page!

Smugmug has blogged that it's creating an easier login :wtf::coco:

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
How are you getting it from Google Photos to here?
Pretty sure if you open the image in Edge, you can then right click on it, and copy the address.
I use this though. It works with Android too
Embed Google Photos in your Website
Click on the share>create link, paste it into that code generator, done :)
Something I couldn't do with Flickr (embed from Android)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Don't know what's going on at flickr but I can't get into it at all. I tried to upload a photo on my pro site and it uploaded it to a dead account from yrs ago. I deleted the dead account in order to try again and now I can't get into my pro account. When I try to login it takes me to Yahoo which asks for an email which it then says is in use on my old account (which I deleted). It gives me an option of using another email which I have to change to in my "account" page but if I can't login, how the hell can I access my account page!
Yeah, lots of weirdness going on in Flickr. I had a similar runaround a little while back, same issue with getting logged into an old account, ended up setting up a phone/SMS authentication, and having to get a code sent to my phone to log in, then the same thing happened about a week ago. Easier to get back in that time round though.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Yeah, lots of weirdness going on in Flickr. I had a similar runaround a little while back, same issue with getting logged into an old account, ended up setting up a phone/SMS authentication, and having to get a code sent to my phone to log in, then the same thing happened about a week ago. Easier to get back in that time round though.
Thanks for that. Tried it and now back in but needed a change of password

Keeth101

Mu-43 Veteran
If there is anyone out there still using IE11 (Internet Explorer) you should be aware that Flickr no longer supports this browser.

To use Flickr you will have to download and use (on PC of course) Chrome, Firefox, Opera or Edge.

I am on Win7 and use Firefox and Chrome with no problems.

Hope that helps anyone.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Yes, I used to use Flickr on IE11. And have now changed to Chrome with no problems. My photos were still there this morning.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Righto then. I've slowly been getting everything in order, in my Flickr-Drive/Photos move :) A very inconvenient accident has slowed this process quite considerably -I can't sit at the computer for very long at all, but I've been playing around a bit whilst laying in bed on my phone & the Wife's iPad.
Another thing I've learned, is that you can very very easily create folders in Google photo, & group all the shots there in the folders that you've uploaded to Drive. Childs play.
As mentioned earlier, I discovered that if you upload a folder to drive, sync it with your account, you can then simply type the folder name into Google photo, & up pops all the photos contained in the Google Drive folder.
Now, the really cool bit. Click the first photo on the folder search page, scroll to the bottom, hold shift, click the last photo, & it selects the lot. Now scroll to the top of the page, click the + button, and choose add to, or create new. Use the same folder name as in Drive for your new album, done. I am pretty sure that when you now add new photo's to your drive folders, they're added to the Photo folder as well. Have yet to test properly.
Once you're in your Google photos, if you click the info button, as you scroll through your photos on your photo page, you can see which photo's are in which album. I'm not sure if adding photo's in Photo will reverse sync back to Drive, if you decide to move them around later in Google photo.
Hope this helps someone, I'm really quite enamored with how easy it is to move over, & set up pretty much the same as your Flickr file structure. Very happy.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom