1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Big Bend National Park

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by aks6674, Mar 14, 2014.

1. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    I didn't have a lot of time (spring break with the family), but got a couple of keepers.

ery3yvyv.

buhageqa.

ybuzuquv.

And, couldn't resist the chance to try a few night shots, as you rarely find skies this dark. I never got a truly clear night, but I got a few gaps after moonset on my last night.

temu8a5a.

yby4apym.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 13
  2. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    Forgot to note equipment: EM-1 with 12-40 for daylight, 12mm f2.0 for nights.

3. MyCrow43

MyCrow43 New to Mu-43

Oct 23, 2012
    Nice pictures.

I'm going to BBNP in a little over a week and was thinking of picking up a used 12mm f2.0, but unfortunately don't have enough time to do so. I hope the 14mm f2.5 suffices!

4. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    I sold my 14mm when I bought the 12, but I'm sure it will be great - always thought it was underrated. Be sure to take some tele with you as well - tons of wildlife there, and I wanted a tighter shot of many of the distant mountains.

5. MyCrow43

MyCrow43 New to Mu-43

Oct 23, 2012

I will have to make do with the 12-50 kit lens.

6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i havent used my 12 in ages, i really need to sell it... i also havent been to big bend in 2 years now???

love those night shots!

• Like Like x 1
  7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I like the night shots (actually all the shots!), any tips? I often go to the Gila in southern NM but haven't been successful with shooting the Milky Way. How did you focus, exposure etc. Thanks :thumbup:

8. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    Thanks! This trip was my first crack at it, too. For exposure, I used ISO 3200 with a 15 second shutter on the oly 12mm at f2.0. I tried a lot of other combinations, but that was the best for me by far. I've seen other people's shots that looked good at 20 seconds, but that was too long for me - the stars elongated too much.

You'll want to focus manually, there's no way to get an AF lock on a star. On the 12mm, infinity is not exactly where its marked, so I magnified to the max and tried to find a bright star to focus on.

By far the biggest factor is to know what's going to happen, and when. I used Stellarium to check the rise/set times of the milky way and the moon, which gave me a window of about an hour after the moon set before the sun started turning everything blue.

• Like Like x 1
  9. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    Thanks! I bought mine with this trip in mind, as I also visited Carlsbad Caverns NP and never took it off the camera there. I'll probably keep it for the night shooting, though the 12-40 will mostly replace it for anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Beautiful! I really love the last shot. :thumbup:

11. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    Thank you sir! I'm going to post one more, as soon as I can figure out how. Maybe the best of the bunch, but a challenge in post.

12. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    Big Bend Blue

It was still too dark to walk without a light, but the sun was already washing out the sky a little. As it turns out, I really like the effect... you get a little Milky Way, a bright Venus, and a nice blue hour sky.

P3130049.

• Like Like x 5
  13. keszozda

keszozda Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2014
    Wow Great shots! I have a beginner question about the night shots. Did you take 2 different shots to get both the foreground and stars in focus (one focused on foreground, one on the stars)? I had problems with blurry foregrounds on my last attempt at night shots. Any tips?

Thanks!

14. aks6674

aks6674 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2014
    Thanks! I'm also a beginner, so take this with a grain of salt - I don't claim to be an expert by any means.

I didn't take two shots, though I think a lot of the better pics are done that way. I think the reason for it is both focus and exposure, since exposing for the foreground will cause the shutter to be open so long the stars will smear.

I currently don't have any way to stack multiple shots, so it wouldn't do me any good if I had. That being the case, I treated the foreground mostly as silhouettes, so didn't have to worry about a tack sharp foreground.

• Like Like x 1